Re: Bolger tribute report?

  • Charles Rouse
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

      > Did anyone on this list go to the tribute to Phil Bolger at Mystic
      > last weekend? The rest of us would love to hear any details you can
      > report.
      >
      > Garth

      I was very pleased that we decided to go to the Woodenboat
      show and the Bolger dinner was the highlight. Sam Devlin
      was the M.C., Mike O'Brian gave a talk, and (I didn't take
      notes) the guy who started Chesapeake Light Craft. There
      was a letter read from a Naval Officer explaining what Phil
      and Suzanne have been doing for three years. They've been
      working for the Navy on the next generation of landing craft
      for the Marines. Because of the nature of the work, they've
      been (I assume) asked not to talk about it. But they now can
      talk a bit and wanted their customers to know what has been
      keeping them tied up.
      Phil brought a 70 minute video, basically unedited.He said
      "We didn't have time, even so it's probably better
      than listening to me mumbling at the podium." I take it he
      doesn't do public speaking much.
      The audience watched the video to the end like kids listening
      to a particularly good bedtime story. In fact the respect
      accorded Phil Bolger by this audience of mostly trade
      professionals was amazing.

      The video covered a variety of subjects, his childhood,
      a basic story of his early boat design work, a boat by
      boat account of several boats he designed some account of
      his design principles, an explanation of why he designs
      Bolger sharpies when not constrained by the customer
      requests, his association with Suzanne Attenberg,
      "She does most of the work now. She works with my ship
      forms."
      He had a rather sharp explanation of what he thought was
      wrong with licensing of Naval Architects, and how this has
      been attempted.
      And a lot more. That video is well worth watching.
      Bob Hicks of Messing about in boats was sitting behind
      us. I sat next to Walter Baron of Old Wharf Dory, who
      has built some Bolger boats. The fellow accross from us
      just finished and brought to the show a beautiful lapstrake
      Chebacco.
      The publisher of Woodenboat magazine was there, and spoke
      nice things about Phil. Quite a character. (Well, both of
      them are.)
      Incidentally, Phil thanked Woodenboat magazine for covering
      his work over the years, and added that he didn't read all
      the "glossy" magazines but read Woodenboat cover to cover
      every issue.
      The fellow, (names, names) who ran Small Boat Journal and
      started the Cartoon series told how that got started.

      Maybe someone who took notes or who has a better memory
      for names can provide better information.

      I had the ribs, clam chowder, corn on the cob, and
      a brownie. O.K., two brownies. Don't try to lose weight
      while in New England.

      If I remember more, perhaps I can fill in later posts.
      It was very much worth it to me going to the Woodenboat
      show at Mystic Seaport. The Bolger Tribute was the
      high point for me. That part of Connecticut is beautiful
      and Mystic Seaport is a great resource for anyone interested
      in wooden, old or interesting boats and maritime
      traditions.

      Charles Rouse
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
        On 7/2/07, Charles Rouse <zavala@...> wrote:

        Thanks for the report, I sure wish I was there.

        I wonder if their Marine Corp landing craft, in the works for three
        years, has any similarities to shallow water river boat, Wolfpack,
        designed about four years ago?
      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
          Hi Charles,

          > I was very pleased that we decided to go to the Woodenboat
          > show and the Bolger dinner was the highlight.
          ...snip...

          Thanks for the report. I too wish I could have been there. Did he
          mention the Gloucester fishing boat project that has also taken their
          time away from commissioned designs? Did you get to see any drawings
          or photos of the landing craft?

          Jon Kolb
        • GarthAB
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@...> wrote:
            > Phil brought a 70 minute video, basically unedited.He said
            > "We didn't have time, even so it's probably better
            > than listening to me mumbling at the podium."

            I'd love to see that video. I wonder if Bolger would sell the copies
            to his adoring fans -- or maybe even open-source it . . .

            Garth
          • Charles Rouse
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

              While Phil and Suzanne (and the U.S. Navy) were willing to
              discuss the Navy project in general terms, they said they
              couldn't discuss the details.
              I didn't hear any reference to the efficient fishing boat
              project. It sounds interesting though.

              The video is very much worth seeing, especially for fans.
              Maybe they plan to edit it, to take out gaps, battery failures,
              or maybe the family cat walking accross the plans while
              Phil talks about them. Though I found the cat charming.
              Someone should ask Phil and Suzanne what their plans are
              for the video. I'm guessing they plan something for it.

              Charles Rouse

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@> wrote:
              > > Phil brought a 70 minute video, basically unedited.He said
              > > "We didn't have time, even so it's probably better
              > > than listening to me mumbling at the podium."
              >

              > I'd love to see that video. I wonder if Bolger would sell the copies
              > to his adoring fans -- or maybe even open-source it . . .
              >
              > Garth

            • Howard Stephenson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                Youtube?

                Howard

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@...> wrote:

                > The video is very much worth seeing, especially for fans.
                > Maybe they plan to edit it, to take out gaps, battery failures,
                > or maybe the family cat walking accross the plans while
                > Phil talks about them. Though I found the cat charming.
                > Someone should ask Phil and Suzanne what their plans are
                > for the video. I'm guessing they plan something for it.
              • Bob Slimak
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                  About a month ago I saw a report on, I believe, the Discovery channel about a new landing craft. I don't know if this was the one Phil designed or not, but it was pretty impressive. It was essentially a high speed amphibious battle tank. Unlike the old ones, with a speed of about 7 knots or so, this one had a speed of around 30 in the water and 50 on land. Propulsion was water jets in the water. Once on land it now acted as a tank, and held enough fuel to go inland for several hundred miles. I wish I could remember more, but seem to have the same problem as Charles Rouse:) Anyway, it was an awesome improvement over the old landing craft. It's just too bad we need them.
                  Bob Slimak

                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Hi Jon,

                    I just opened the latest issue of MAIB. PB&F will be going into this
                    (maybe the LC too) at some length over the the next number (4?) of
                    issues. I don't know about drawings. Things seem to be moving ahead now.

                    Graeme

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                      Hmmm. If PB&F are going increasingly to video format, I wonder if
                      they may at sometime go to other ICTs for things like new books,
                      reprints, study plans, and catalogues?

                      Thanks for your interesting report Charles. Were the proceedings
                      videoed, to be published by WB maybe?

                      Graeme

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007

                        > Hmmm. If PB&F are going increasingly to video format, I wonder if
                        > they may at sometime go to other ICTs for things like new books,
                        > reprints, study plans, and catalogues?
                        >
                        > Thanks for your interesting report Charles. Were the proceedings
                        > videoed, to be published by WB maybe?
                        >
                        > Graeme

                        I wondered about the video thing also. I didn't see anyone recording
                        the proceedings, but it was a bit crowded and I know I didn't see
                        everything.
                        They have a video about the William D. Jochems I believe.
                        Maybe they'll release the video they played at the tribute.

                        Charles Rouse
                      • John and Kathy Trussell
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 4, 2007
                          I have seen references to videos from PCB&F and I have the one on Lily. At
                          one point, there were references to a video on Birdwatcher and Queen Mab.
                          Does anyone know what might be available?

                          JohnT

                          _____

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Charles