Bolger tribute report?

  • GarthAB
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
      Did anyone on this list go to the tribute to Phil Bolger at Mystic
      last weekend? The rest of us would love to hear any details you can
      report.

      Garth
    • Charles Rouse
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

        > Did anyone on this list go to the tribute to Phil Bolger at Mystic
        > last weekend? The rest of us would love to hear any details you can
        > report.
        >
        > Garth

        I was very pleased that we decided to go to the Woodenboat
        show and the Bolger dinner was the highlight. Sam Devlin
        was the M.C., Mike O'Brian gave a talk, and (I didn't take
        notes) the guy who started Chesapeake Light Craft. There
        was a letter read from a Naval Officer explaining what Phil
        and Suzanne have been doing for three years. They've been
        working for the Navy on the next generation of landing craft
        for the Marines. Because of the nature of the work, they've
        been (I assume) asked not to talk about it. But they now can
        talk a bit and wanted their customers to know what has been
        keeping them tied up.
        Phil brought a 70 minute video, basically unedited.He said
        "We didn't have time, even so it's probably better
        than listening to me mumbling at the podium." I take it he
        doesn't do public speaking much.
        The audience watched the video to the end like kids listening
        to a particularly good bedtime story. In fact the respect
        accorded Phil Bolger by this audience of mostly trade
        professionals was amazing.

        The video covered a variety of subjects, his childhood,
        a basic story of his early boat design work, a boat by
        boat account of several boats he designed some account of
        his design principles, an explanation of why he designs
        Bolger sharpies when not constrained by the customer
        requests, his association with Suzanne Attenberg,
        "She does most of the work now. She works with my ship
        forms."
        He had a rather sharp explanation of what he thought was
        wrong with licensing of Naval Architects, and how this has
        been attempted.
        And a lot more. That video is well worth watching.
        Bob Hicks of Messing about in boats was sitting behind
        us. I sat next to Walter Baron of Old Wharf Dory, who
        has built some Bolger boats. The fellow accross from us
        just finished and brought to the show a beautiful lapstrake
        Chebacco.
        The publisher of Woodenboat magazine was there, and spoke
        nice things about Phil. Quite a character. (Well, both of
        them are.)
        Incidentally, Phil thanked Woodenboat magazine for covering
        his work over the years, and added that he didn't read all
        the "glossy" magazines but read Woodenboat cover to cover
        every issue.
        The fellow, (names, names) who ran Small Boat Journal and
        started the Cartoon series told how that got started.

        Maybe someone who took notes or who has a better memory
        for names can provide better information.

        I had the ribs, clam chowder, corn on the cob, and
        a brownie. O.K., two brownies. Don't try to lose weight
        while in New England.

        If I remember more, perhaps I can fill in later posts.
        It was very much worth it to me going to the Woodenboat
        show at Mystic Seaport. The Bolger Tribute was the
        high point for me. That part of Connecticut is beautiful
        and Mystic Seaport is a great resource for anyone interested
        in wooden, old or interesting boats and maritime
        traditions.

        Charles Rouse
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
          On 7/2/07, Charles Rouse <zavala@...> wrote:

          Thanks for the report, I sure wish I was there.

          I wonder if their Marine Corp landing craft, in the works for three
          years, has any similarities to shallow water river boat, Wolfpack,
          designed about four years ago?
        • adventures_in_astrophotography
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
            Hi Charles,

            > I was very pleased that we decided to go to the Woodenboat
            > show and the Bolger dinner was the highlight.
            ...snip...

            Thanks for the report. I too wish I could have been there. Did he
            mention the Gloucester fishing boat project that has also taken their
            time away from commissioned designs? Did you get to see any drawings
            or photos of the landing craft?

            Jon Kolb
          • GarthAB
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@...> wrote:
              > Phil brought a 70 minute video, basically unedited.He said
              > "We didn't have time, even so it's probably better
              > than listening to me mumbling at the podium."

              I'd love to see that video. I wonder if Bolger would sell the copies
              to his adoring fans -- or maybe even open-source it . . .

              Garth
            • Charles Rouse
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

                While Phil and Suzanne (and the U.S. Navy) were willing to
                discuss the Navy project in general terms, they said they
                couldn't discuss the details.
                I didn't hear any reference to the efficient fishing boat
                project. It sounds interesting though.

                The video is very much worth seeing, especially for fans.
                Maybe they plan to edit it, to take out gaps, battery failures,
                or maybe the family cat walking accross the plans while
                Phil talks about them. Though I found the cat charming.
                Someone should ask Phil and Suzanne what their plans are
                for the video. I'm guessing they plan something for it.

                Charles Rouse

                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@> wrote:
                > > Phil brought a 70 minute video, basically unedited.He said
                > > "We didn't have time, even so it's probably better
                > > than listening to me mumbling at the podium."
                >

                > I'd love to see that video. I wonder if Bolger would sell the copies
                > to his adoring fans -- or maybe even open-source it . . .
                >
                > Garth

              • Howard Stephenson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Youtube?

                  Howard

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@...> wrote:

                  > The video is very much worth seeing, especially for fans.
                  > Maybe they plan to edit it, to take out gaps, battery failures,
                  > or maybe the family cat walking accross the plans while
                  > Phil talks about them. Though I found the cat charming.
                  > Someone should ask Phil and Suzanne what their plans are
                  > for the video. I'm guessing they plan something for it.
                • Bob Slimak
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                    About a month ago I saw a report on, I believe, the Discovery channel about a new landing craft. I don't know if this was the one Phil designed or not, but it was pretty impressive. It was essentially a high speed amphibious battle tank. Unlike the old ones, with a speed of about 7 knots or so, this one had a speed of around 30 in the water and 50 on land. Propulsion was water jets in the water. Once on land it now acted as a tank, and held enough fuel to go inland for several hundred miles. I wish I could remember more, but seem to have the same problem as Charles Rouse:) Anyway, it was an awesome improvement over the old landing craft. It's just too bad we need them.
                    Bob Slimak

                  • graeme19121984
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                      Hi Jon,

                      I just opened the latest issue of MAIB. PB&F will be going into this
                      (maybe the LC too) at some length over the the next number (4?) of
                      issues. I don't know about drawings. Things seem to be moving ahead now.

                      Graeme

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                        Hmmm. If PB&F are going increasingly to video format, I wonder if
                        they may at sometime go to other ICTs for things like new books,
                        reprints, study plans, and catalogues?

                        Thanks for your interesting report Charles. Were the proceedings
                        videoed, to be published by WB maybe?

                        Graeme

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007

                          > Hmmm. If PB&F are going increasingly to video format, I wonder if
                          > they may at sometime go to other ICTs for things like new books,
                          > reprints, study plans, and catalogues?
                          >
                          > Thanks for your interesting report Charles. Were the proceedings
                          > videoed, to be published by WB maybe?
                          >
                          > Graeme

                          I wondered about the video thing also. I didn't see anyone recording
                          the proceedings, but it was a bit crowded and I know I didn't see
                          everything.
                          They have a video about the William D. Jochems I believe.
                          Maybe they'll release the video they played at the tribute.

                          Charles Rouse
                        • John and Kathy Trussell
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 4, 2007
                            I have seen references to videos from PCB&F and I have the one on Lily. At
                            one point, there were references to a video on Birdwatcher and Queen Mab.
                            Does anyone know what might be available?

                            JohnT

                            _____

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Charles