Long Micro rudder detail

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 6:10 AM
      Hi all,
      I have posted nine pictures of the rudder I built for my Long Micro.
      They are all detail shots showing various stages of construction. If
      you hunger for inspiring pictures of a pretty LM, don't look- there
      are only pictures of my rudder. That sounds naughty, doesn't it?

      http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

      I based my rudder upon the Pryor's stainless steel rudder and post,
      which he built to mitigate the problem with micro and LM rudders
      splitting or detaching at the joint between the wooden rudder post and
      the wooden rudder blade. Roger Keyes wrote of his rudder post
      splitting during he latest voyage as well. So I opted to weld up a
      metal rudder blade, post, and tiller bracket from a stick of exhaust
      tubing and some sheet steel I had lying about. I then coated
      everything in 6 oz. fiberglass cloth and epoxy, and then primed it.
      The tiller bracket slips over the top of the tiller post (it fits very
      very snugly) and is held in place with a herd of stainless screws.
      The weak link in the whole system is where the tiller attaches to the
      tiller bracket- I'm a little worried that the tiller might snap on the
      end, although I reinforced the end of my tiller with an endcap and
      wrap of fiberglass cloth. The tiller can swivel upward so that it can
      be kept out of the way of the cockpit (another idea copied from
      Pryor). Notice that my tiller looks a bit like an axe handle?
      Coincidence?

      At this point I am finishing my wiring and splashing the last bit of
      varnish about. Then I'll raise the hull and install the ballast.
      Shouldn't be much longer now.

      Bill, in Ohio
    • Jason Stancil
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 9:51 AM
        Bill that's great,
        I welded my micro rudder stock and straps from stainless then bolted in
        a laminated solid wood blade for the same reasons you did. Your way
        looks better and easier. I spoke with bolger on the phone about the
        rudder shaft and IF IRC hey agreed this was a component subject to alot
        of stress and possible failure if not put together soild, as to the
        building key.
        Jason
      • Mark Balogh
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 9:55 AM
          Sorry for the off subject post. Jason I have sent you a few emails
          over the last month to your private address with no reply. Please let
          me know if you are receiving them.

          Thanks
          Mark

        • nels
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5 7:56 AM
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I have posted nine pictures of the rudder I built for my Long Micro.
            > They are all detail shots showing various stages of construction. If
            > you hunger for inspiring pictures of a pretty LM, don't look- there
            > are only pictures of my rudder. That sounds naughty, doesn't it?
            >
            > http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

            Thanks for updating the photos of your build. The rudder assembly
            looks great. Nice idea using a length of SS exhaust pipe for the post.

            Looks like you are going to have a very fast and capable cruiser.

            All the best,

            Nels
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6 6:49 AM
              Nels,
              It's not SS, just regular steel pipe. I cannot weld SS. I've read a
              bit about epoxy coating steel, but I'm interested in seeing how well
              my coated rudder holds up. It will be in fresh water, so I don't
              expect a serious problem with corrosion. The entire rudder assembly
              is VERY strong. It would probably bend and rip the mounts out before
              the rudder blade would separate from the post. Hopefully I never test
              that. I'll try to post other interesting pictures soon.

              Bill