Re: Chebacco sails

  • Jamie Orr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
      Hi Roger,

      I have the jib, as drawn by PCB, and I can tell you it really isn't
      worth it (my opinion based on my experience) unless you put on a
      bowsprit. I don't have a bowsprit, so I have the tack at the bow of
      my Chebacco. When both main and jib are set, going to windward the
      jib spoils the flow to the main, and running, it is blanketed by the
      main. If set with the mizzen only, no main, it worked well downwind
      and across the wind instead of reefing the main in stronger wind,
      but
      I've never found it worthwhile doing much with it. One day I'll
      probably try a bowsprit but meanwhile I like the simplicity of the
      original rig.

      Chuck Gottfried uses a larger jib, Sailrite has the dimensions, and
      he
      also has a bowsprit -- you can reach him for details by going to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sucia/ He also has roller furling and
      this arrangement has been very effective. I've sailed alongside him
      (and behind him!)

      The new owner of Sylvester, Richard, also uses a larger jib on a
      bowsprit and has had good experience with it. You can find him
      through www.chebacco.com

      Cheers,

      Jamie Orr
      Chebacco Wayward Lass

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

      > I'm getting ready to order sails (MANY months premature) and
      wonder
      about