Solstice Small Boat Messabout Photos

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2007
      Here are some photos from our recent small boat messabout at Caterpillar
      Island on the Columbia River. You shoulda been there:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157600508397101/

      http://andrewlinn.com/070624_quinns/solstice_messabout_start.htm

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/9270240@N02/?saved=1

      --
      John <jkohnen@...>
      Why should we take advice on sex from the Pope? If he knows
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

        > Here are some photos from our recent small boat messabout at Caterpillar
        > Island on the Columbia River. You shoulda been there:

        I wish I had been. It looks like a great time. What happened to the GIS that it capsized?
      • David
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2007
          Dennis,

          Both Sisu, the Goat Island Skiff, and its neophyte driver (that's me)
          are fine. No damage to the boat, minor damage to the driver. Lots of
          useful lessons learned. Here's a link to fome fotos. The bottom right
          is just prior to flipping. Bottom left is post-rescue.

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/9270240@N02/?saved=1

          Several of the the other Ol' Coots have offered some private
          instruction on sailing technique... largely out of a sense of
          self-preservation, I'm guessing <G>

          Cheers,
          David Graybeal
          Portland, OR

          "Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival" -- W. Edwards Deming

          *****************

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <pseudodion@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here are some photos from our recent small boat messabout at
          Caterpillar
          > > Island on the Columbia River. You shoulda been there:
          >
          > I wish I had been. It looks like a great time. What happened to the
          GIS that it capsized?

        • Kristine Bennett
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 28, 2007
            David I don't think they are offering you sailing
            lessions for self-preservation....They already know
            how to sail.... I think it's more to keep you from
            doing yourself in and not them.

            Yes I do know what you were trying to say. And it's
            good to have people willing to shair their knowlage
            with you!

            Hmmm minor damage to the neophyte skipper.... I hope
            mainly to the EGO!

            I know I've had my EGO bashed a few times when handing
            a boat. Even with my Dad standing there keeping an eye
            on what I was doing. Hey the man trusted me with a 300
            ton power barge. That's also where I learned that you
            don't come into the dock any faster then you want to
            hit it! AND plan well ahead of yourself!

            Goddess Bless Krissie

            --- David <arbordg@...> wrote:

            > Dennis,
            >
            > Both Sisu, the Goat Island Skiff, and its neophyte
            > driver (that's me)
            > are fine. No damage to the boat, minor damage to the
            > driver. Lots of
            > useful lessons learned. Here's a link to fome fotos.
            > The bottom right
            > is just prior to flipping. Bottom left is
            > post-rescue.
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9270240@N02/?saved=1
            >
            > Several of the the other Ol' Coots have offered some
            > private
            > instruction on sailing technique... largely out of a
            > sense of
            > self-preservation, I'm guessing <G>
            >
            > Cheers,
            > David Graybeal
            > Portland, OR
            >
            > "Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival"
            > -- W. Edwards Deming

            Don't pick lemons.
            See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
            http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
          • John Kohnen
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 28, 2007
              In anutshell: an inexperienced sailor (never sailed before that day) who
              didn't realize how tricky a jibe can be...

              Fortunately he took the spill in good spirit and will be more careful as
              he continues to learn the joys of the sailing life.

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 28, 2007
                My bets are back to the motor and ores. The real story is he fell in
                the water pushing off the beach a few hours earlyer in the day. Might
                have something to do with refreshments but he sunburns so easly ya
                can't tell if he said something he shouldn't have or if it is anabuse
                reaction. LOL

                Jon

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2007
                  Krissie,

                  Thanks for the kind words. Damage to skipper limited to minor scrapes
                  & bruises. That and being tired from the exertions of trying to right
                  the boat, and self-rescue, and from being in the water for that long.
                  Damage to ego negligable, due to size of ego <G>

                  I'm completely convinced that self-preservation is the primary motive,
                  after watching me nearly mow down my new friend Topher in his little
                  Puddle Duck Racer, and thereupon neatly gybing myself into the turtled
                  position. Who in their right mind would want to sail in company with
                  me - or heaver forfend, in the same boat - prior to some rudimentary
                  instruction ];^)

                  Seriously, my ego did take a hit, and I'm determined to learn enough
                  to avoid making such a fool of myself in the future. Also - you're
                  very right - it is heartwarming that my mates are willing to share
                  their experience with me. I am indeed blessed to have fallen in with
                  such a generous and knowledgable group of folks.

                  Cheers,
                  David Graybeal
                  Portland, OR

                  "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give" --
                  Winston Churchill

                  **********************

                  > David I don't think they are offering you sailing
                  > lessions for self-preservation....They already know
                  > how to sail.... I think it's more to keep you from
                  > doing yourself in and not them.
                  >
                  > Yes I do know what you were trying to say. And it's
                  > good to have people willing to shair their knowlage
                  > with you!
                  >
                  > Hmmm minor damage to the neophyte skipper.... I hope
                  > mainly to the EGO!
                  >
                  > I know I've had my EGO bashed a few times when handing
                  > a boat. Even with my Dad standing there keeping an eye
                  > on what I was doing. Hey the man trusted me with a 300
                  > ton power barge. That's also where I learned that you
                  > don't come into the dock any faster then you want to
                  > hit it! AND plan well ahead of yourself!
                  >
                  > Goddess Bless Krissie
                • David
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2007
                    Jon,

                    Fie upon your doubting, overcautious words <BG> I'll be sailing again
                    soon after we get the trailer finished. You better get that
                    sternwheeler done, so you can rescue me next time 8^O That pattern
                    has (for good or ill) been common throughout my various pursuits. For
                    example, dirtbike racing. Push it until you crash, or something
                    breaks, then dial it back a bit. Learn to recognize the cusp between
                    fasterthanshit and roadrash - then respect it. Perhaps this approach
                    is reckless, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough or mature enough to do
                    it differently <G> I should have waited for Pat to take me out. He's
                    very experienced, far smarter, and much more mature. But... as he
                    says, I learned a lot in that half-hour. And it'll certainly stick
                    with me!

                    The previous wetting had nothing to do with the libations. Just not
                    used to how tender she is with that big wood stick 16' up in the air.
                    <That's my story, and neither dynamite nor framing jacks shall budge
                    me from it> LOL

                    Cheers,
                    David Graybeal
                    Portland, OR

                    "What does not kill me, makes me stronger" -- Nietzsche

                    ***********************

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote:

                    > My bets are back to the motor and ores. The real story is he fell in
                    > the water pushing off the beach a few hours earlyer in the day.
                    Might have something to do with refreshments but he sunburns so easly
                    ya can't tell if he said something he shouldn't have or if it is
                    anabuse reaction. LOL

                    > Jon
                  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 29, 2007
                      Gladly David after all you did offer to be a figure head at the end of
                      the gang plank.

                      Jon

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 29, 2007
                        David, I learned to sail from the pictures in the appendix of one of Dynamite Payson's instant
                        boat books about 7 years ago. I think you are in much better shape to learn with all those
                        coots willing to give you their experience than I was. I would not trade the comedy of errors
                        that has been my sailing instructor for anything in the world, however, as I love sailing more
                        and more.

                        Very nice boat, btw. When I first saw the pics, the profile of the GIS looked initially like a New
                        Haven Sharpie. Keep us informed of your progress, and be sure to post some pictures of Sisu
                        under a press of canvas. Also, can you tell me if you have problems with oilcanning. The
                        bottom of that boat seems awful thin at 1/4 inch.

                        All the Best,
                        Dennis
                      • David
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 29, 2007
                          Dennis,

                          Thanks. We're very happy with what a pretty boat we ended up with.
                          Just from the drawings, and even from the fotos we saw, we were
                          prepared for a bit of an ungainly, slabsided beast. In fact, I think
                          she's bloody beautiful (he said modestly). I'd have to say that
                          Michael Storer knows his stuff.

                          http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISplan.html

                          A Coot remarked once that Sharpies tend to look far lovelier in
                          person. I'd have to agree. However, we were prepared to live with
                          slab-sided in order to attain our other goals. One of those was the
                          most boat we could build that'd still be cartoppable. Hence the 1/4"
                          plywood skin. That makes her a little delicate for my two teenage
                          boys, and us two adult beginners. In two years, we have cracked two
                          thwarts by coming down hard on one knee in the middle of a span of
                          1/4" plywood. On the bottom, though, no hint of oilcanning at all.

                          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/projects/sisu/index.htm

                          As it turns out, this cartopping of a 16' boat weighting maybe 150
                          pounds is getting old. We are modifying an old trailer to receive her.
                          If we'd known we would be trailering her anyway, we might have
                          inquired of the designer about switching to a 3/8" or 1/2" bottom, and
                          beefed up those seat-tops as well. Might also have switched from
                          western red cedar to douglas fir (oregon pine) for the little bit of
                          framing in the boat. One of the most knowledgable Ol' Coots describes
                          Sisu as "sporty". Thise mods would make her less so, but would also
                          make her less delicate.

                          So, thinking about Bolger designs - which of his could be considered
                          similar to the Goat Island Skiff? Maybe Junebug? Others?

                          Cheers,
                          David Graybeal
                          Portland, OR

                          "I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
                          What do you want, an adorable pancreas?" -- Jean Kerr
                          <actually, in a boat, we kinda do, eh?>

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <pseudodion@...> wrote:

                          > David,

                          <SNIP>

                          > Very nice boat, btw. When I first saw the pics, the profile of the
                          GIS looked initially like a New Haven Sharpie. Keep us informed of
                          your progress, and be sure to post some pictures of Sisu under a press
                          of canvas. Also, can you tell me if you have problems with oilcanning.
                          The bottom of that boat seems awful thin at 1/4 inch.

                          > All the Best,
                          > Dennis
                        • Kristine Bennett
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 29, 2007
                            --- David <arbordg@...> wrote:

                            > Krissie,
                            >
                            > Thanks for the kind words. Damage to skipper limited
                            > to minor scrapes
                            > & bruises. That and being tired from the exertions
                            > of trying to right
                            > the boat, and self-rescue, and from being in the
                            > water for that long.
                            > Damage to ego negligable, due to size of ego <G>

                            Yes in the case of trying to sail through another boat
                            yes I do see where that would in deed count as Self-
                            pressrvation! You need to worry if the next time as
                            you launch every one else heads for the beach!

                            > I'm completely convinced that self-preservation is
                            > the primary motive,
                            > after watching me nearly mow down my new friend
                            > Topher in his little
                            > Puddle Duck Racer, and thereupon neatly gybing
                            > myself into the turtled
                            > position. Who in their right mind would want to sail
                            > in company with
                            > me - or heaver forfend, in the same boat - prior to
                            > some rudimentary
                            > instruction ];^)

                            In all the sails I've seen I have yet to see a lever
                            to switch the sail into astern! Like you can with an
                            outboard or most inboards.

                            Also I will bet you will not make the same mistake
                            again that you made over the weekend. At least not
                            with anyone watching!

                            Blessings Krissie

                            > Seriously, my ego did take a hit, and I'm determined
                            > to learn enough
                            > to avoid making such a fool of myself in the future.
                            > Also - you're
                            > very right - it is heartwarming that my mates are
                            > willing to share
                            > their experience with me. I am indeed blessed to
                            > have fallen in with
                            > such a generous and knowledgable group of folks.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > David Graybeal
                            > Portland, OR

                            Got a little couch potato?
                          • Dennis
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
                              David, having cartopped a Bolger Featherwind (125lbs) for two summers, I can understand
                              your getting tired of lifting the GIS. It is not so much that it is heavy, but ungainly because of
                              the length. I think you will find trailering your boat a much more pleasant experience. As to
                              the types of Bolger boats the GIS falls into, construction and length wise I think the
                              Featherwind and Windsprint would be equivalent, although they do not have as much
                              freeboard as the GIS. I would be interested to know the depth of your boat. It looks as if it
                              has a huge volume. In your capsize photos, it looks like you need more flotation, too! ;-)

                              All the best,
                              Dennis
                            • graeme19121984
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2007
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:

                                > One of the most knowledgable Ol' Coots describes Sisu as "sporty".
                                > Thise mods would make her less so, but would also make her less
                                > delicate.
                                >
                                > So, thinking about Bolger designs - which of his could be
                                > considered similar to the Goat Island Skiff? Maybe Junebug? Others?

                                Sporty?

                                Coldwater Sailboard.

                                Add a rudder to free up space for carrying gear aft when wanted;
                                needs a hiking stick then, which will nicely suit the added sliding
                                seat. Better? Add lifting foils.

                                Graeme