Sternwheeler progress

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
      Got the hull rolled (Tiped sounds like more fun) and the settings
      changed all can see all posted.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/

      Jon
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>
        wrote:

        > Got the hull rolled (Tiped sounds like more fun) and the settings
        > changed all can see all posted.
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/
        >
        > Jon

        Looking good and a great finish on the outside to boot!! You wouldn't
        happen to have a plan showing the expected profile and interior
        arrangements would you Jon?
        Continued success with the fun!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan
      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
          Having it realy welly faired befor glass and working the edges down
          while glassing then being pritty good with a drywallers (sheet rocker)
          brod knife filling helps. I faired the glass useing just epoxy and
          fumed silaca 1/2 and 1/2 to make the bottom hard and scrach resistant.
          A lot of sanding with a ROS going slow helps. 4 coats of Inter protect
          below the waterline light sanding and 4 coats of bottom paint.
          As far as the interior I have changed it 3 times so far and may make
          changes yet the great part of a boat from scrach with a lot of room.

          Jon

          > Looking good and a great finish on the outside to boot!! You wouldn't
          > happen to have a plan showing the expected profile and interior
          > arrangements would you Jon?
          > Continued success with the fun!
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter Lenihan

        • Sam Glasscock
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2007
            Here is a question that will sound stupid to the
            sailors out there, but has me puzzled. I am stepping
            a 20' mast into a 31' motorsailor. The rigging is
            very simple, forestay and two shrouds--no spreaders.
            The rig is adjusted with turnbuckes on each stay. The
            mast is stepped on the cabin top. There is a
            compression post from the step to the keel.
            Question--how tight should the stays be, and how will
            I know when they are properly tightened? I have never
            rigged anythig bigger than dinghy size, and any advice
            would be most appreciated. Thanks

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 28, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

              > Here is a question that will sound stupid to the
              > sailors out there, but has me puzzled. I am stepping
              > a 20' mast into a 31' motorsailor. The rigging is
              > very simple, forestay and two shrouds--no spreaders.
              > The rig is adjusted with turnbuckes on each stay. The
              > mast is stepped on the cabin top. There is a
              > compression post from the step to the keel.
              > Question--how tight should the stays be, and how will
              > I know when they are properly tightened? I have never
              > rigged anythig bigger than dinghy size, and any advice
              > would be most appreciated. Thanks

              I find tuning it to middle C works best for me:-)

              Sorry, What I always have done is adjust the shrouds so the mast is
              totally straight and the shrouds still have a bit of flex to them.
              Then of course it also depends on how large the main and jib area is
              as keeping the headstay tight is the big challenge. (I have only had
              experience with wooden masts.)

              I have never had the "pleasure" of dealing with running backstays, but
              I think your rig is likely more for steadying the motion rather than
              outright performance eh?
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 28, 2007
                Free advice (is worth exactly what you pay for it) from me.

                As I understand it, the only reason for tight stays is to hold the
                leading edge of a jib from sagging. In every other instance, (like
                yours), loose stays are fine. Indeed, tightening the stays puts the
                mast in compression, and puts other static stresses on the boat (chain
                plates, etc.). In other words, my advice is 'just snug', not taught.
              • Sam Glasscock
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 28, 2007
                  Nels and Bruce, thanks for the help. I only have a
                  jib for the boat, a big genoa, but I would like to add
                  a small steadying-sail main soon. The jib is a
                  downwind booster/get home insurance rig, it will not
                  do any windward work and so a tight forestay is not a
                  priority. I have rigged it for a running backstay for
                  downwind work, to take some strain off the shrouds.
                  I'll try her with the stays pretty soft. Thanks
                  again. Sam
                  --- Nels <arvent@...> wrote:

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock
                  > <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Here is a question that will sound stupid to the
                  > > sailors out there, but has me puzzled. I am
                  > stepping
                  > > a 20' mast into a 31' motorsailor. The rigging is
                  > > very simple, forestay and two shrouds--no
                  > spreaders.
                  > > The rig is adjusted with turnbuckes on each stay.
                  > The
                  > > mast is stepped on the cabin top. There is a
                  > > compression post from the step to the keel.
                  > > Question--how tight should the stays be, and how
                  > will
                  > > I know when they are properly tightened? I have
                  > never
                  > > rigged anythig bigger than dinghy size, and any
                  > advice
                  > > would be most appreciated. Thanks
                  >
                  > I find tuning it to middle C works best for me:-)
                  >
                  > Sorry, What I always have done is adjust the shrouds
                  > so the mast is
                  > totally straight and the shrouds still have a bit of
                  > flex to them.
                  > Then of course it also depends on how large the main
                  > and jib area is
                  > as keeping the headstay tight is the big challenge.
                  > (I have only had
                  > experience with wooden masts.)
                  >
                  > I have never had the "pleasure" of dealing with
                  > running backstays, but
                  > I think your rig is likely more for steadying the
                  > motion rather than
                  > outright performance eh?

                  Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                • Kristine Bennett
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 28, 2007
                    If the mast buckles you know you had the rigging a bit
                    to tight!!! Yes I have seen that happen twice onces
                    when they were rigging a boat in the yard and the
                    other time someone was out sailing in light wind and
                    down every thing came! We did stop to offer help and
                    lifted the mast and boom onto their deck with our
                    crane. We also asked if they needed some bolt cutters
                    when we got there.

                    When I was at Marine Service Center I helped rig and
                    step masts. It's up to each skipper as to how they
                    like the sails to fill. But seeing how you have no
                    spreaders I would just tighten them till the cables
                    are firm and not a lot of slop and then tune from
                    there.

                    Sorry I can't be of more help.

                    Blessings Krissie