Birdwatcher 2 construction page

  • Rex and Kathie Payne
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 26, 2007
      My wife and I have started construction on a Birdwatcher 2.
      Progress can be viewed at :

      http://homepage.mac.com/rkpayneboats/Birdwatcher2

      Rex and Kathie
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Rex and Kathie Payne" <rkpayne96@...>
        wrote:

        > My wife and I have started construction on a Birdwatcher 2.
        > Progress can be viewed at :
        >
        > http://homepage.mac.com/rkpayneboats/Birdwatcher2
        >
        > Rex and Kathie

        Thanks to you both for sharing the great photos of your build. I
        really found the setting up of the building table and the bulkhead
        support molds to be interesting and worthy of emulating.

        Just wondering where you are located - in case I need to borrow some
        clamps;-)

        Nels
      • Rex and Kathie Payne
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
          Nels,
          We are located just outside of Nashville, Indiana, that is
          approximately 3 miles from little else. Clamps are sort of a personal
          tool, they look great in photos, don't complain often, and do their
          work without leaving holes that need filling later. Should you come by
          and need a clamp and can return it by next day, we will be happy to
          oblige. Look forward to your acquaintence.
          R & K
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Rex and Kathie Payne" <rkpayne96@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > My wife and I have started construction on a Birdwatcher 2.
          > > Progress can be viewed at :
          > >
          > > http://homepage.mac.com/rkpayneboats/Birdwatcher2
          > >
          > > Rex and Kathie
          > >
          > Thanks to you both for sharing the great photos of your build. I
          > really found the setting up of the building table and the bulkhead
          > support molds to be interesting and worthy of emulating.
          >
          > Just wondering where you are located - in case I need to borrow some
          > clamps;-)
          >
          > Nels

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
            wrote:

            > Nels,
            > We are located just outside of Nashville, Indiana, that is
            > approximately 3 miles from little else. Clamps are sort of a personal
            > tool, they look great in photos, don't complain often, and do their
            > work without leaving holes that need filling later. Should you come by
            > and need a clamp and can return it by next day, we will be happy to
            > oblige. Look forward to your acquaintence.
            > R & K

            My dad, who taught me everything I know about wood working, told me you
            can never have enough clamps.

            Paul H.
          • derbyrm
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
              Hey, don't knock it. You're only 70 miles from the great city of Memphis, IN.

              Roger
              derbyrm@...
              http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

              We are located just outside of Nashville, Indiana, that is
              approximately 3 miles from little else.
              Recent Activity
              a.. 7New Members
              b.. 26New Photos
              c.. 1New Files
              Visit Your Group
              a.. Bolger center
              b.. Bolger
              c.. Phil bolger
              Health Zone
              Look your best!

              Groups to help you

              look & feel great.

              Yahoo! Finance
              It's Now Personal

              Guides, news,

              advice & more.

              HDTV Support
              on Yahoo! Groups

              Help with Samsung

              HDTVs and devices
              .

            • cosermann
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                Maybe we can look forward to seeing this boat on Lake Monroe then?

                Regards,
                Eric

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                  We have launched there in the past. I'm sure we will again in the
                  future. Usually at the Cutright ramp, no wake zone side. Canoes and
                  small sailboats.
                  R & K

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                    wrote:

                    > We have launched there in the past. I'm sure we will again in the
                    > future. Usually at the Cutright ramp, no wake zone side. Canoes and
                    > small sailboats.
                    > R & K

                    Is not the Lake Monroe Messabout in September some time?

                    Funny but I was wearing a T-shirt with s Nashville North logo on it
                    yesterday, but I think that it was from a bar in Nashville NC:-)

                    Hope you noticed the photos of the BW2 of Bob Larkin in the messabout
                    photos - very inspiring! Looks like he has that rig sorted out now,
                    with the yard laying nicely against the mast as he boogied past.

                    Rex I think it is great to see a husband helping his wife build a boat
                    like you are doing.

                    Cheers, Nels
                  • Rex and Kathie Payne
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2 8:10 PM
                      Memphis, Indiana and Nashville, NC, been through the first, not the last.
                      I believe the Lake Monroe Messabout is Autumnal Equinox weekend. We
                      haven't missed showing up at least on Saturday for the last 6 or 7 years.
                      Thanks for pointing out the photos of Bob Larkins BW2 at the Oregon
                      Messabout. The jaws on the Solent lug yard appear to work well. Looks
                      good.
                      You don't know how lucky I am that Kathie is letting me help her build
                      the BW2. We make good progress together. Glassing the bottom tomorrow.
                      R & K

                      > Is not the Lake Monroe Messabout in September some time?
                      >
                      > Funny but I was wearing a T-shirt with s Nashville North logo on it
                      > yesterday, but I think that it was from a bar in Nashville NC:-)
                      >
                      > Hope you noticed the photos of the BW2 of Bob Larkin in the messabout
                      > photos - very inspiring! Looks like he has that rig sorted out now,
                      > with the yard laying nicely against the mast as he boogied past.
                      >
                      > Rex I think it is great to see a husband helping his wife build a boat
                      > like you are doing.
                      >
                      > Cheers, Nels

                    • Nels
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 3 8:27 AM
                        wrote:

                        > You don't know how lucky I am that Kathie is letting me help her build
                        > the BW2. We make good progress together. Glassing the bottom tomorrow.
                        > R & K

                        I checked in at your website and viewed the updated photos. Looks like
                        you are making excellent progress.

                        I have a few observations and questions, but don't let me interfere
                        with the work in progress. Maybe some time later once you get the
                        build completed.

                        I see you completely glassed the side panels and installed the inner
                        coamings and stems before temporarily attaching them to the bulkheads.
                        Then attaching the stems to the other panel permanently. Then
                        filleting and taping the bulkheads to the side panels and removing the
                        temporary screws? Any problems getting the panels to bend into place
                        and line up? I guess once the inner coamings fit into their notches
                        and the marking lines on the inside of the panels lined up with the
                        bulkheads you were all set to bond it all together. The advantage of
                        having the bulkheads stabilized and aligned beforehand.

                        Also all the glassing was done on a horizontal table.

                        Was it a bit of a challenge getting those chine logs into place? Would
                        maybe using two courses of thinner logs have been easier or not a problem?

                        I am also interested in your using polymer nails. Do you have a
                        special nailer to drive them? Did you also use them to hold the second
                        bottom layer in place while it cured?

                        All the best with glassing the bottom. Once that is done the hull is
                        locked in!

                        Nels
                      • Rex and Kathie Payne
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 3 7:58 PM
                          Nels,
                          You have a good eye for details.

                          > I see you completely glassed the side panels and installed the inner
                          > coamings and stems before temporarily attaching them to the bulkheads.
                          > Then attaching the stems to the other panel permanently. Then
                          > filleting and taping the bulkheads to the side panels and removing the
                          > temporary screws? Any problems getting the panels to bend into place
                          > and line up?

                          24 and a half feet of 6 mm plywood is very flimsy, even with the
                          glass, the inner coaming was added to give a little more stiffness. We
                          decided to apply the coaming in 2 thinner layers, added the second
                          layer after the sides were attached. Took a bit of filing and scarph
                          in place to fit the nothches. The inner coaming is Philipine Mahogany
                          and was too hard to bend otherwise.

                          I guess once the inner coamings fit into their notches
                          > and the marking lines on the inside of the panels lined up with the
                          > bulkheads you were all set to bond it all together. The advantage of
                          > having the bulkheads stabilized and aligned beforehand.

                          We set up the frames and marked the panels as Phil drew them. He did a
                          fantastic job drawing it as it actually fits. Once lined up, a few
                          temporary screws and glue and fillet. Easy as long as there are 2
                          people working at aligning and holding in place.

                          > Also all the glassing was done on a horizontal table.

                          You don't get runs when its flat, squeegee the glass and then a roller
                          adds more epoxy to bury the cloth, self levels pretty well. Not
                          perfect but better than if we had waited until it was upright. Less
                          epoxy wasted dripping down.

                          > Was it a bit of a challenge getting those chine logs into place? Would
                          > maybe using two courses of thinner logs have been easier or not a
                          problem?

                          Chine logs. We used 2 layers of 3/4 by 2 1/2 and 3/4 by 1 and
                          something with the angles precut. We put them on one at a time. Shaped
                          the top with a 1 inch roundover bit, belt sander and hand block. They
                          came out pretty well.

                          > I am also interested in your using polymer nails. Do you have a
                          > special nailer to drive them? Did you also use them to hold the second
                          > bottom layer in place while it cured?

                          You can find the polymer nails and gun at :
                          http://www.raptornails.com/
                          The nails hold very well, don't have the shear strength of metal
                          nails, but they don't damage planes/saw blades and can be sanded. We
                          screwed the first layer of the bottom and used mostly the polymer
                          nails with a few screws on the second layer, glass right over them.
                          They are good to tack scarphs so they don't slip before you get a
                          clamp on them.

                          > All the best with glassing the bottom. Once that is done the hull is
                          > locked in!

                          First of 2 layers of 10 oz cloth has been applied to the bottom,
                          wrapped very well around the chine logs. Got one other coat of epoxy
                          on, now we have to wait until our next epoxy shipment arrives. Have
                          used 3 1/2 gallons to this point with very little waste. Have never
                          used more than a gallon on any boat we have built in the past.

                          Have a happy and a safe July 4th to all.

                          R & K