Berth availability

  • Chester Young
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 26, 2007
      I am curious; since this is a far flung group I anticipate widely varied
      Plans (MPP) specific to that county. This is a result of the lawsuits and
      threatened lawsuits by Save the Manatee and various other environmental
      groups. It has created a scarcity of in water and dry storage slips for
      boats of all types. To maximize the economic potential for a given marina
      many in the area will not rent a wet slip to vessels less than 30' in length
      since a vessel is a vessel, and most of the MPP use some form of ratio for
      slips, thus limiting the number of vessels in any facility. It is the slip
      count limits that create a lot of scarcity, not physical space at the
      marina. Several years ago when the office I worked from was near downtown I
      would sail to a nearby marina that was managed by a friend. On one occasion
      the powers that be (Florida Department of Environmental Protection) cited
      the marina for having a vessel in a non-approved location, the vessel was my
      12' O'Day Widgeon that does have a registration, but not a motor. When I
      see photos of a Micro sitting in a berth of a large facility, I can only
      think that is not going to happen here. I am fortunate to have access to
      single family dock and a nearby ramp, so I can continue to launch, retrieve
      and berth my small vessels such that I get a lot of on water time with the
      Esther Mae.

      What is the story else where? This is a group that thrives on small boats
      and real use of the same. Much of the reason behind all the restrictions is
      couched in 'public interest'; I see it functioning as public exclusion.

      Caloosarat,

      (also know as Chester Young, Vice President, Hans Wilson & Associates, a
      highly effective group of marine and environmental consulting engineers)
      www.hanswilson.com

      _____