Re: Old style stip planking

  • rljssn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2007
      I was reading in one of Bolger's books about his Hope design. It was
      being built without glue or fiberglass covering. This was a round bilge
      outboard lobster boat type. Very nice shape.

      The stip planking was (at the time) considered more valuable than
      plywood when it comes to resale value. Bolger also warns of his
      experience of a glued mahogany stip boat he was on that sprung a leak
      in the stip planking from shrinking and swelling. I don't know if that
      boat was glassed or not. The glass may slow down the transfer of water
      enough to stall any starting of the plank.

      Anyone know what types of hull shape or scantling are more sensitive to
      this failure or is it just luck or maybe the builders ability?
      thanks,
      Russ