Re: long dory/tri

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2007
      Hi Rog and Kat,

      > New here. I would like advice on problems with the following idea:
      > Build the long rowing dory (design #526) as well as we can, perhaps
      > as a double ender, then, after a few years learning to handle it,
      > adding amas and sails (tri or pacific proa) for beach camping trips.

      There's no point in modifying the boat to be truly double-ended, since
      it's functionally double-ended as drawn. The waterplane at the stern
      comes nearly to a point anyway, and you'd gain nothing by eliminating
      the tiny transom except more effort and less visual appeal.

      Having rowed mine quite a few miles now, I don't think I'd recommend it
      for what you propose. It's an outstanding rowboat, and in my view
      trying to make it into something else is not a productive use of time.
      You'd need to beef up the structure to handle the sailing rig and the
      amas, and by doing so you'd wind up with a less satisfying rowboat
      that's cluttered with structure. The simple interior of the design
      would be lost, and since it's a very small 20-footer to begin with,
      you'd be losing a lot of space to all the additional structure, besides
      gaining weight up high on the hull where you don't want it for rowing.

      For beach cruising, any number of other designs would be much better if
      you want to sail. If you can do without the sailing rig, the Long
      Light Dory would make and excellent boat. In fact, I'm getting ready
      to modify the seating arrangement in mine to make room for my dog and
      my backpacking gear. There's a nice reservoir at 9000 feet on the S
      side of Pike's Peak, you see, and there's some nice big Northern Pike
      near the inlet, you see, and, well, you get the idea.

      Jon Kolb