Re: [bolger] Re: No Fiberglass

  • John and Kathy Trussell
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 20, 2007
      Acceptable to me, of course. "Acceptable" is a subjective word. The problem with glass/epoxy is that you have to fill the grain of the cloth. The best way I've found to do that is to roll on a couple or three coats of epoxy and microballoons (or some other filler). This leaves a very rough finish. You can sand it with a long board or with a variety of power sanders (all of which can leave dips and hollws). Lots of dust and elbow grease. At some point you obtain a reasonably smooth surface and you can start painting. With MDO, you start with a fairly smooth surface and the sanding and filling process is greatly reduced.

      You can produce a very fine finish on either material, but my experience is that you get there quicker and easier with MDO.

      JohnT