re Lions Paw

  • lordborrolan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2007
      Hi Nels, Fantastic looking craft, except the lee boards, (I just can't
      get to like em).
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "lordborrolan" <lordborrolan@...> wrote:

        > Hi Nels, Fantastic looking craft, except the lee boards, (I just can't
        > get to like em).

        I have to agree about the leeboards, especially those deep narrow ones
        that tend to create weather helm when sailing in shallow water I believe.

        I would tend to consider a forward off-centereboard and a larger
        rudder taking some of the leeway something like CAMPER 640. Bolger
        seems to favor this system on some of his more recent designs.

        Article about weighted rudders here:

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/howto/easier/index.htm

        There is also a quick-release dagger board design that has been used
        on catamarans over in Holland for the past 20 years.

        It would probably not work with a weighted dagger board.

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/howto/dagger/index.htm

        Nels