[bolger] New Member

  • lm2
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 1999
      Hi

      Just heard about and subscribed to the list. So far have built a bunch of
      Bolger boats from a Tortoise (great boat by the way) up to the boat Phil
      designed for us Loose Moose 2.

      Glad to be aboard.

      Bob & Sheila Wise
      St Thomas USVI
    • G Carlson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 25, 1999
        Bob and Sheila:

        Welcome! I believe your have the AS39? Love that boat and would enjoy
        hearing about it! Where did you hear about the (new) list?

        We cruise around Pensacola with a 55' mast and 6.5' draft, so you can just
        imagine the appeal of the "AS's" (can I say that?)!

        Gregg Carlson

        >Just heard about and subscribed to the list. So far have built a bunch of
        >Bolger boats from a Tortoise (great boat by the way) up to the boat Phil
        >designed for us Loose Moose 2.
        >
        >Glad to be aboard.
        >
        >Bob & Sheila Wise
        >St Thomas USVI
      • Robert N. Lundy
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 24 12:19 PM
          Hello All!

          Just joined this list. Can't believe it took so long to find it.

          A few questions:

          There have been several comments about a "Common Sense Boats" web site.
          What is the address and is it still run by Bernie? I really miss the old
          newsletter. I think I have almost every issue, including the old ones from
          Elrow LaRowe.

          Like many of you, I own multiple plans (but no boats yet!) including Micro
          (Bought 1990!), Windsprint and the 15'6" Work Skiff. Am planning to start
          Windsprint next week. Several of you have used Fiberglass Coatings, my
          hometown store (a really neat store to visit). My only problem with them is
          the lack of the really clever West System metered pumps. How do you
          measure? With the little graduated cups?

          Finally, I've read every post over the past few days and noticed some
          discussion about saws (circular and table). About two months ago I went to
          Home Depot to buy one of the $189.00 bench top table saws. Right next to it
          was the Dewalt at $469.00. I left with the Dewalt and the $69.00 stand.
          Yes it is horribly expensive. But with the addition of the accessory
          (another $90) side and outfeed extensions, I have better functionality than
          my dad's full sized 1962 Craftsman Cast Iron Tablesaw (because of the rack
          and pinion fence). And it rests happily under my workbench in the Garage
          when not in use. This saw is proff that Black and Decker engineers can make
          really good tools (B&D owns DeWalt)

          Again, thanks Gregg for starting this up!

          Robert & Amy Lundy
          St. Petersburg, Fla.
          rnlundy@... <mailto:rnlundy@...>
          rlundy@... <mailto:rlundy@...>
          727-526-9329
          727-528-8104 FAX
        • Richard
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 24 12:48 PM
            "Robert N. Lundy" wrote:

            > Windsprint next week. Several of you have used Fiberglass Coatings, my
            > hometown store (a really neat store to visit). My only problem with them is
            > the lack of the really clever West System metered pumps. How do you
            > measure? With the little graduated cups?

            The "really clever" pumps are the same pumps you use for catsup and mustard...
            Anyway, I get the 2:1 pumps from West Marine, and remove the spacer for the
            hardener
            pump to use the 1:1 from Fiberglass Coatings.

            Also, you have to be sure to specify the plastic jugs and not the metal "paint"
            cans.

            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
          • David Beede
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 24 3:11 PM
              Welcome to the list Robert!
              I think the pumps do work best, but another measuring trick that
              makes measuring pretty painless is to use popsicle sticks or tongue
              depressors as stirrers. using water and a sample one of your mixing cups
              (I use small yogurt containers a lot) Pour in your ratios and mark them
              on you mixing stick. Keep this stick as a template to transfer marks to
              other sticks. Then just hold a marked stick to the bottom of your
              container while you pour in the resin and hardener. Works pretty well.
              (not as well as the pumps though)
              Good luck on Windsprint - keep us posted!
              David

              Robert N. Lundy wrote:

              > Hello All!

              Just joined this list. Can't believe it took so long to find it.

              A few questions:

              There have been several comments about a "Common Sense Boats" web site.
              What is the address and is it still run by Bernie? I really miss the old
              newsletter. I think I have almost every issue, including the old ones from
              Elrow LaRowe.

              Like many of you, I own multiple plans (but no boats yet!) including Micro
              (Bought 1990!), Windsprint and the 15'6" Work Skiff. Am planning to start
              Windsprint next week. Several of you have used Fiberglass Coatings, my
              hometown store (a really neat store to visit). My only problem with them is
              the lack of the really clever West System metered pumps. How do you
              measure? With the little graduated cups?

              Finally, I've read every post over the past few days and noticed some
              discussion about saws (circular and table). About two months ago I went to
              Home Depot to buy one of the $189.00 bench top table saws. Right next to it
              was the Dewalt at $469.00. I left with the Dewalt and the $69.00 stand.
              Yes it is horribly expensive. But with the addition of the accessory
              (another $90) side and outfeed extensions, I have better functionality than
              my dad's full sized 1962 Craftsman Cast Iron Tablesaw (because of the rack
              and pinion fence). And it rests happily under my workbench in the Garage
              when not in use. This saw is proff that Black and Decker engineers can make
              really good tools (B&D owns DeWalt)

              Again, thanks Gregg for starting this up!

              Robert & Amy Lundy
              St. Petersburg, Fla.
              rnlundy@... <mailto:rnlundy@...>
              rlundy@... <mailto:rlundy@...>
              727-526-9329
              727-528-8104 FAX

              > [click here]
              > Click Here!
              > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

              Simplicity Boats (mirror sites - if one doesn't work...)
              http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/
              http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/
              Here's my latest boat:
              http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/featherwind.html
              Quasi esoteric musical instruments
              unicornstrings.com
            • G Carlson
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 25 6:46 PM
                Yea, those old newsletters were really fun to read - I saved quite a few,
                too.

                I think Bernie had a partner who has formed a new business of a similar name.

                Anyway - welcome.

                Gregg Carlson

                >Hello All!
                >
                >Just joined this list. Can't believe it took so long to find it.
                >
                >A few questions:
                >
                >There have been several comments about a "Common Sense Boats" web site.
                >What is the address and is it still run by Bernie? I really miss the old
                >newsletter. I think I have almost every issue, including the old ones from
                >Elrow LaRowe.
                >
                >Like many of you, I own multiple plans (but no boats yet!) including Micro
                >(Bought 1990!), Windsprint and the 15'6" Work Skiff. Am planning to start
                >Windsprint next week. Several of you have used Fiberglass Coatings, my
                >hometown store (a really neat store to visit). My only problem with them is
                >the lack of the really clever West System metered pumps. How do you
                >measure? With the little graduated cups?
                >
                >Finally, I've read every post over the past few days and noticed some
                >discussion about saws (circular and table). About two months ago I went to
                >Home Depot to buy one of the $189.00 bench top table saws. Right next to it
                >was the Dewalt at $469.00. I left with the Dewalt and the $69.00 stand.
                >Yes it is horribly expensive. But with the addition of the accessory
                >(another $90) side and outfeed extensions, I have better functionality than
                >my dad's full sized 1962 Craftsman Cast Iron Tablesaw (because of the rack
                >and pinion fence). And it rests happily under my workbench in the Garage
                >when not in use. This saw is proff that Black and Decker engineers can make
                >really good tools (B&D owns DeWalt)
                >
                >Again, thanks Gregg for starting this up!
                >
                >Robert & Amy Lundy
                >St. Petersburg, Fla.
                >rnlundy@... <mailto:rnlundy@...>
                >rlundy@... <mailto:rlundy@...>
                >727-526-9329
                >727-528-8104 FAX

                >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
              • Chuck Leinweber
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 25 8:14 PM
                  Robert:

                  Welcome to the group. It has only been in existence for a couple of months,
                  so you haven't missed much (in case you haven't read the archives)

                  Common sense boats is what used to be CSD. A you may remember that a while
                  back Bernie took on Jerry Estes as a partner. Well, now Jerry is the
                  apparent sole proprietor of the slightly renamed business. Bernie may still
                  be doing the html stuff. Here is the url:
                  http://www.common-sense-boats.com/

                  I still have some of the old newsletters from Bernie too. I bought the
                  plans for my Tennessee from CSD.

                  I like the pumps. The manufacturers all seem to have them, and they seem to
                  fit each others jugs. I use a lot of polyurethane casting resin in my work.
                  It comes in paint type cans and I mix it in plastic containers using a
                  measuring stick like David suggested. It works fine, and If I didn't have
                  pumps, I would measure epoxy that way too.

                  I think you will like the table saw, Robert. Many years ago, I had to sell
                  and old craftsman cast iron one like you described, when we moved, and
                  couldn't take it. I soon had to get a Delta model to replace it. I use
                  mine a lot.

                  Chuck

                • harding2@home.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 26 5:25 PM
                    "chuck leinweber" <duckwork-@...> wrote:
                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=365
> [...]
                    some
                    > > discussion about saws (circular and table). About two months ago I
                    went
                    > > Home Depot to buy one of the $189.00 bench top table saws. Right
                    next to
                    > it
                    > > was the Dewalt at $469.00. I left with the Dewalt and the $69.00
                    stand.
                    > > Yes it is horribly expensive. But with the addition of the
                    accessory
                    > > (another $90) side and outfeed extensions, I have better
                    functionality
                    > than
                    > > my dad's full sized 1962 Craftsman Cast Iron Tablesaw (because of
                    the rack
                    > > and pinion fence). And it rests happily under my workbench in the
                    Garage
                    > > when not in use. This saw is proff that Black and Decker engineers

                    Just saw this message. Think you made a really good decision on the
                    Dewalt. We looked at all the options really hard. The fences and angle
                    setting capacity of most of the portable table top saws just wasn't
                    very good. We opted for a small Jet cast iron table saw that was
                    comprable in price to some of the better portable saws but still covet
                    the DeWalt. The Fence system is superb.
                    Best Wishes on Your Project.
                    Leander

                  • boatschool@boatbuilding.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 3, 1999
                      I have recently purchased a small boatbuilding school on Vancouver
                      Island. As an expert in boat lumber, I leave a lot to be desired as a
                      builder. One of the areas that I need to "wrap my head around" is the
                      choice of boat designs for the upcoming year. (2000) While we are a
                      wooden boat school, dealing with small (18' or less) boats, I don't
                      want to be caught up in the "authentic" mode. I certainly appreciate
                      beautiful lapstrake boats, and Whitehalls, etc., but the demand around
                      here is for "functional" rather than "traditional". I have heard so
                      much about Mr. Bolgers "common sense boats" that I thought I might try
                      to find out more information.

                      Looking forward to hearing your comments, suggestions and ideas.
                    • dukepryer@eisa.net.au
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 16, 2001
                        G'day having only recently joined the group ,I would like to say what
                        a great source of info it is. A well as a great sounding board for
                        ideas.

                        I am currently building a Long Micro and am constructing a web site
                        documenting the same.
                        Feel free to have a look at http://members.tripod.com/rivalduke/
                        I am trying to update as often as I can.

                        If anyone out there has any feedback on the use of copper epoxy
                        antifoul .I would welcome any feedback.

                        Slowly progressing construction

                        Andrew Pryer

                        Victoria
                        Austalia
                      • Jan FaviĆ©
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 16, 2001
                          the best construction site i ever saw!

                          jan
                          holland
                          G'day having only recently joined the group ,I would like to say what
                          a great source of info it is. A well as a great sounding board for
                          ideas.

                          I am currently building a Long Micro and am constructing a web site
                          documenting the same.
                          Feel free to have a look at http://members.tripod.com/rivalduke/
                          I am trying to update as often as I can.

                          If anyone out there has any feedback on the use of copper epoxy
                          antifoul .I would welcome any feedback.

                          Slowly progressing construction

                          Andrew Pryer

                          Victoria
                          Austalia

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Bolger rules!!!

                        • colncath@bigpond.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 17, 2001
                            Andrew,
                            Congratulations on a fantastic website - great photo,s
                            workmanship and a source of inspiration for my Micro project.

                            Regards

                            Col Mooney

                          • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 18, 2001
                              Andrew,
                              A warm welcome to the group and thanks for the link to your web
                              page! Looking over your construction pictures brought me back to when
                              I was building my Micro. I'll bet it will serve as an excellent
                              reference page for future Long Micro builders and many others seeking
                              to be inspired by your excellent building methods.Surely this is not
                              your first boat.........
                              The use of a strong-back has got to be the solo builders all time
                              best"tool" and your pictures certainly illustrate just how sensible a
                              boat building project can be when a strong-back is used.
                              Please keep us posted regarding your construction and continued
                              success with your Long Micro!
                              Sincerely,
                              Peter Lenihan
                              Micro"LESTAT"

                              --- In bolger@y..., dukepryer@e... wrote:
                              > G'day having only recently joined the group ,I would like to say
                              what
                              > a great source of info it is. A well as a great sounding board for
                              > ideas.
                              >
                              > I am currently building a Long Micro and am constructing a web site
                              > documenting the same.
                              > Feel free to have a look at http://members.tripod.com/rivalduke/
                              > I am trying to update as often as I can.
                              >
                              > If anyone out there has any feedback on the use of copper epoxy
                              > antifoul .I would welcome any feedback.
                              >

                              > Slowly progressing construction
                              >
                              > Andrew Pryer
                              >
                              > Victoria
                              > Austalia
                            • Tracy
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 3, 2009
                                Just a note to say hello to the group. I have been a fan of Phil Bolger since I became interested in boats many years ago. I read every "Small Boat Journal" magazine I could find and always looked to Phil's "Cartoons" first and usually spent many time going back over his designs many times before wearing out the magazine.

                                Phil had so many designs that caught my eye there is no way I could take up that much space nor could I remember them all but as I am looking to downsize my living space I can say the "Watervan" and the "Houseboat" are the two that mose interest me now. I am looking for information on both those at this time.

                                I look forward to searching the group files and pictures and seeing all those Bolger designs in an archive once again.

                                Thanks for letting me join this group and know that Phil will be missed even way down here in Texas.

                                Tracy Roberts