Re: [bolger] Re: Bearing Buddies

  • Patrick Crockett
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
      Ah, bearing stories! I learned to carry a set in the tow vehicle when I
      had my second boat. I gave my third boat to my sister, who subsequently
      moved into a beach house on the Texas Gulf Coast. I visited her after
      she'd been living there for a year and suggested we take the boat out.
      We made it about four blocks down the road when one of the trailer
      bearings froze up. (It was hot. It was REAL hot, but it was frozen.)
      Sunday morning.

      We borrowed some tools from a gas station, (including a cold chisel) and
      I spent a couple hot hours cutting the old bearings off the axles in the
      sand alongside the road. By then an automotive store had opened, we
      bought new bearings, greased them up, and were on our way for an
      interesting day sail in which the rudder popped off (as it was wont to
      do) in the Intracoastal Waterway in front of a very large barge.
      Actually, the barge was a couple hundred yards off, but my 8-year-old
      nephew was fully convinced we were about to die as I asked my sister to,
      "Keep an eye on things and let me know if we get into trouble," while I
      was head-down over the stern slipping pintles back into gudgeons. She
      later later said to our other sister, "Get INTO trouble? What was that
      we were already in?"

      Patrick

    • catboat15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
        Not much help in keeping your trailer wheels dry, but remember to put your
        launching hitch at the end of the tow vehicle that does not do the pulling (or
        pushing). On my van with rear wheel drive I added a hitch on the front
        bumper so I still have my driving wheels on dry land. Visa versa for front wheel
        drive vehicles. It is embarrassing when your tow vehicle slides on the moss
        and can't get off the ramp.

      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
          Yes I bet you did see that in your mind. The funny
          thing is I run Mills and Lathes and stuff like that at
          work.

          But I'm not a cave woman.... Maybe an Amazon woman.
          There are times I wish I was not 6 feet tall but
          others I am glad I am.

          Blessings all
          Krissie

          http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?
          > itemnumber=93834
          > > >
          > > > May not save on cost of someone measuring it,
          > but a
          > > > lot easier than pulling
          > > > the wheel.
          > > >
          > > > V/R