Re: Bearing Buddies

  • ANDREW AIREY
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
      I dont know what the situation is when buying bearings
      on your side of the pond but the discounting situation
      over here used to be weird.Never pay list.I used to be
      able to get 25 to 40 percent off virtually for the
      asking,50 percent if you pushed it,and my partner in
      our small engineering business got 60percent if he let
      it be assumed that he still worked for British Steel.
      You can have fun with bearings.We were off to a Brough
      Superior owners club rally(Think of Brough Superiors
      as a sort of upmarket Harley Davidson made in England
      from 1920 to 1940)in East Anglia when the rear wheel
      bearing,which had apparently been grumbling a bit all
      week,decided to get noisy.We got another bearing from
      a stockist,only one they had,changed the bearing and
      went to the rally.On the way back the other wheel
      bearing failed - I'm in the sidecar getting all the
      sound effects.We pulled up on a pub forecourt,borrowed
      a dish and some paraffin(kerosene)from the
      landlord,cleaned the first bearing - it loked like
      silver sand in the bottom of the dish - regreased and
      replaced it and got home with fingers and everything
      else crossed.
      cheers
      Andy Airey

    • Patrick Crockett
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
        Ah, bearing stories! I learned to carry a set in the tow vehicle when I
        had my second boat. I gave my third boat to my sister, who subsequently
        moved into a beach house on the Texas Gulf Coast. I visited her after
        she'd been living there for a year and suggested we take the boat out.
        We made it about four blocks down the road when one of the trailer
        bearings froze up. (It was hot. It was REAL hot, but it was frozen.)
        Sunday morning.

        We borrowed some tools from a gas station, (including a cold chisel) and
        I spent a couple hot hours cutting the old bearings off the axles in the
        sand alongside the road. By then an automotive store had opened, we
        bought new bearings, greased them up, and were on our way for an
        interesting day sail in which the rudder popped off (as it was wont to
        do) in the Intracoastal Waterway in front of a very large barge.
        Actually, the barge was a couple hundred yards off, but my 8-year-old
        nephew was fully convinced we were about to die as I asked my sister to,
        "Keep an eye on things and let me know if we get into trouble," while I
        was head-down over the stern slipping pintles back into gudgeons. She
        later later said to our other sister, "Get INTO trouble? What was that
        we were already in?"

        Patrick

      • catboat15@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
          Not much help in keeping your trailer wheels dry, but remember to put your
          launching hitch at the end of the tow vehicle that does not do the pulling (or
          pushing). On my van with rear wheel drive I added a hitch on the front
          bumper so I still have my driving wheels on dry land. Visa versa for front wheel
          drive vehicles. It is embarrassing when your tow vehicle slides on the moss
          and can't get off the ramp.

        • Kristine Bennett
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
            Yes I bet you did see that in your mind. The funny
            thing is I run Mills and Lathes and stuff like that at
            work.

            But I'm not a cave woman.... Maybe an Amazon woman.
            There are times I wish I was not 6 feet tall but
            others I am glad I am.

            Blessings all
            Krissie

            http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?
            > itemnumber=93834
            > > >
            > > > May not save on cost of someone measuring it,
            > but a
            > > > lot easier than pulling
            > > > the wheel.
            > > >
            > > > V/R