Re: Bearing Buddies / the answer (tentative)

  • marka@highstream.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
      On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:11 AM, rick barnes wrote:

      > Haven't we tormented those poor Neanderthals enough. It's enough
      > to make a cave man go extinct.

      Used a digital caliper at a parts counter and, depending how snugly
      and / or how out of round, measured the dust cap at either 2.049 or
      2.051 inches. Hah! BB makes one 2.047". Measured the hubs themselves
      back home with an old Craftsman that has a mixed up sliding scale
      that always baffles me a little. Close enough.

      Ordered a pair of stainless model 2047s w/ bras to try direct from
      BB, just $32.85

      Thanks to all.
      Mark
    • ANDREW AIREY
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
        I dont know what the situation is when buying bearings
        on your side of the pond but the discounting situation
        over here used to be weird.Never pay list.I used to be
        able to get 25 to 40 percent off virtually for the
        asking,50 percent if you pushed it,and my partner in
        our small engineering business got 60percent if he let
        it be assumed that he still worked for British Steel.
        You can have fun with bearings.We were off to a Brough
        Superior owners club rally(Think of Brough Superiors
        as a sort of upmarket Harley Davidson made in England
        from 1920 to 1940)in East Anglia when the rear wheel
        bearing,which had apparently been grumbling a bit all
        week,decided to get noisy.We got another bearing from
        a stockist,only one they had,changed the bearing and
        went to the rally.On the way back the other wheel
        bearing failed - I'm in the sidecar getting all the
        sound effects.We pulled up on a pub forecourt,borrowed
        a dish and some paraffin(kerosene)from the
        landlord,cleaned the first bearing - it loked like
        silver sand in the bottom of the dish - regreased and
        replaced it and got home with fingers and everything
        else crossed.
        cheers
        Andy Airey

      • Patrick Crockett
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
          Ah, bearing stories! I learned to carry a set in the tow vehicle when I
          had my second boat. I gave my third boat to my sister, who subsequently
          moved into a beach house on the Texas Gulf Coast. I visited her after
          she'd been living there for a year and suggested we take the boat out.
          We made it about four blocks down the road when one of the trailer
          bearings froze up. (It was hot. It was REAL hot, but it was frozen.)
          Sunday morning.

          We borrowed some tools from a gas station, (including a cold chisel) and
          I spent a couple hot hours cutting the old bearings off the axles in the
          sand alongside the road. By then an automotive store had opened, we
          bought new bearings, greased them up, and were on our way for an
          interesting day sail in which the rudder popped off (as it was wont to
          do) in the Intracoastal Waterway in front of a very large barge.
          Actually, the barge was a couple hundred yards off, but my 8-year-old
          nephew was fully convinced we were about to die as I asked my sister to,
          "Keep an eye on things and let me know if we get into trouble," while I
          was head-down over the stern slipping pintles back into gudgeons. She
          later later said to our other sister, "Get INTO trouble? What was that
          we were already in?"

          Patrick

        • catboat15@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
            Not much help in keeping your trailer wheels dry, but remember to put your
            launching hitch at the end of the tow vehicle that does not do the pulling (or
            pushing). On my van with rear wheel drive I added a hitch on the front
            bumper so I still have my driving wheels on dry land. Visa versa for front wheel
            drive vehicles. It is embarrassing when your tow vehicle slides on the moss
            and can't get off the ramp.

          • Kristine Bennett
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
              Yes I bet you did see that in your mind. The funny
              thing is I run Mills and Lathes and stuff like that at
              work.

              But I'm not a cave woman.... Maybe an Amazon woman.
              There are times I wish I was not 6 feet tall but
              others I am glad I am.

              Blessings all
              Krissie

              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?
              > itemnumber=93834
              > > >
              > > > May not save on cost of someone measuring it,
              > but a
              > > > lot easier than pulling
              > > > the wheel.
              > > >
              > > > V/R