Re:Nymph dinghy

  • Daniel Stewart
    Message 1 of 49 , Jun 1, 2007
      Better to calculate than rely on intuition when it comes to buoyancy!
      Having done so: at 6' by 5" (or so) these tubes displace about 45
      lbs--way less than I guessed. I think it's still enough to be useful
      but thanks for the correction.

      Dan

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

      > If the "pool noodles" you're referring to are 6 feet long and 4
      inches in
      > diameter they will provide at most 32 pounds of flotation each, or
      about 1/3
      > of your guesstimate.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatworks.com
      >

      > On Friday 01 June 2007 06:01:25 pm Daniel Stewart wrote:
      > > I plan to get two of those
      > > long foam tubes that small kids use for swimming and lash them under
      > > the gunwales--they're about six feet long and should provide 200 lbs
      > > or so of flotation and make it difficult in particular to roll the
      > > gunwales under.
      >

      > --

    • Stefan Probst
      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 18, 2007
        This one was stuck for a looooong time in my outbox...

        (apologies for not cutting the original at the bottom, but it's been
        long time, and it might be easier to have a "tail" than to have to dig
        through archives)

        Graeme,
        thanks for looking things up. Unfortunately, we are not much further.
        As it stands now with the Bolger Houseboat variants:

        - Houseboat (19'9" x 7'10")
        Seems to be an original design. The text says at least nothing
        that it would be an update of another design.
        Scans on Yahoo study_plans_only and Cartoons are basically
        identical to the ones on http://euler.sfasu.edu/Shantyboats ..
        and are probably from CSD catalogue and CSD books.
        then there is
        - Barge Houseboat BWAOM Ch#58 (25'6" x 7'10") (Yahoo Database)
        Maybe somebody who has the BWOAM can verify the dimensions,
        and even upload a scan to compare with the other version.
        Is there a Design Number mentioned in BWAOM?
        and finally there is
        - Barge Houseboat #481 (20' x 8') (according to Yahoo Database)
        Could be a modified version of the first Houseboat,
        or the same, or another one ....

        Just trying to get an Update 4 finished...

        Cheers, and thanks,
        Stefan