Re: Micro Tabernacle

  • mannthree
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
      Bruce,

      I never found stepping the Nicro mast a trivial exercise. From
      memory, my mast weighed about 35lbs and at 23 feet, it was a tricky
      manouvre to get it into or out of the slot, especially with a wet
      deck. I think that if you are a keen sailor and want to sail every
      weekend, and you store the boat at home, then the tabernacle is almost
      essential. It is not a problem for me now because my mast is only 17
      feet long and I keep my boat on a swing mooring. I had a tabernacle,
      but it fractured because I used (bad advice) unsuitable wood but I
      found it extremely helpful when getting the boat into and out of the
      water. I would be interested to hear any comments from you in making
      the mast lighter to aid stepping and unstepping,

      Regards,

      John Mann

      > On 5/31/07, robert181605 <fuzzwurzle@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi am building a Micro, the LM is too much, does anyone know of
      > > drawings or pictures of a Micro with mainmast in a tabernacle? Or
      > > suggestions?
      > >
      > > Bob
      >
      > I own the Chinese Gaff Navigator type of Micro, and I do not feel any
      > need for a tabernacle. Stepping the mast is easy and handy, due to
      > the ability to stand on top of the cabin (at the balance point of the
      > mast) to insert the mast into the mast step. Easy. The hard thing is
      > keeping the vertical lines and halyards untangled (while they droop on
      > the horizontal). That problem would be identical with a tabernacle or
      > not.
      >
      > If I was building the standard sprit rig cuddy type of Micro, I most
      > certainly would avoid all things that increased the complexity. The
      > beauty of that design is the elegant simplicity. Don't ruin the
      > simplicity. Do you need to pass under a low bridge very often? Even
      > if yes, consider that the mast can be potentially light enough to step
      > and unstep conventionally, taking just moderate+ strength.

    • robert181605
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
        Thanks Bruce, John,
        Sorry I didn't search before postings but is helps anyway, the latest
        mod to the bow to stop wave slap and with the tabernacle I will check
        out if pictures can be sent I'd appreciate it, could just put the
        tabernacle where the mast is in the Micro drawings. The reason for
        asking is mostly safety I have slight balance problems and would like
        the option if building so I can use canals without assistance and ease
        of fixing something up top in rouch weather.

        Yes please pictures would be great.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
          > I never found stepping the Nicro mast a trivial exercise. From
          > memory, my mast weighed about 35lbs and at 23 feet, it was a tricky
          > manouvre to get it into or out of the slot, especially with a wet
          > deck.

          Well, my mast is 20 feet long, and definitely weighs more than 35
          pounds. The problem is not so much the weight as the awkwardness.
          Essential is a place to hold the mast at the balance point prior to
          rotation. The Micro Navigator cabin roof is located at exactly the
          right spot. Starting with the mast resting on the cabin alongships,
          my body facing athwardships, I just clean-and-jerk the mast to
          shoulder height, rotate my body 90 degrees, rest the mast on my
          shoulder, and lower the but of the mast down into the mast step. A
          quick one man operation. I would hesitate to do it floating out on
          rough cold water alone. It probably could be done, but I always find
          a way to do it tied up next to the dock or on the trailer.
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "robert181605" <fuzzwurzle@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Bruce, John,

            > Yes please pictures would be great.
            >
            > Bob

            There is a file at Bolger4 named MICRO NAVIGATOR that has some scans
            showing some details of the latest modifications.

            These plans are available for $50 from Bolger, who feels they are
            useful to consider for a standard Micro was well as the NAV version.

            Changes include an end plate on the rudder, slightly different keel
            profile forward, to accomoddate the anti-slap pad, bow-well much like
            that on the Long Micro with a tabernacle and staff that results in a
            "pointy bow." The bow floatation located somewhat differently, being
            along the sides, covered by a cutaway deck and of course a forward
            companionway and hatch.

            Nels