Re: Insolent 60 isometric rendering

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        Its been so long since the talking started on the 60 I have forgotten
        details. Its a breakdown boat correct? Your right, it should be scarily
        fast off the wind in a breeze, spray to the cross trees.

        HJ

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
          > details. Its a breakdown boat correct? Your right, it should be scarily
          > fast off the wind in a breeze, spray to the cross trees.

          Yes, I didn't model the hinges, but they are a relatively simple,
          amounting to not much more than pins through some stout arms (made, I
          am guessing from 1 inch thick steel plate) extending about 18 inches
          above the P&S rails at the fore and aft bulkheads visible here.

          http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=525116415&context=photostream&size=o

          Both the hinge planes are angled a bit, the aft one a couple degrees,
          and for fore one about ten degrees so the fore and after pieces don't
          hit when on top of the cabin.
        • Susan Davis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007

            > http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=525094641&size=o
            >
            > I60. Shown on a broad reach, wow, that would be fast.

            Ooo, I've got to get me one of those.

            :-)

            In all seriousness, in what format is the original 3D model? Amanda
            has been playing around with Maya lately....

            --
            Susan Davis <secretary@...>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
              I modeled it using the Free!Ship boat modeling software.

              > In all seriousness, in what format is the original 3D model? Amanda
              > has been playing around with Maya lately....
            • John and Kathy Trussell
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007
                Other than the splash pad, this looks a little like 'Burgundy' which, as far as I know, has never been built and which is a somewhat more manageable size.

                JohnT

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
                  On 6/3/07, John and Kathy Trussell <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

                  > Other than the splash pad, this looks a little like 'Burgundy' which, as far as I know, has never been built and which is a somewhat more manageable size.
                  >
                  > JohnT

                  I agree, the hull shape falls into a rather large family of Bolger
                  hard chined Sharpies, including Burgundy. 'Somewhat more manageable'
                  to for the building, absolutely, I bet you could build ten Burgundy's
                  in the time to build one I60. Yet, as a sign of Bolger's genius, the
                  I60 would be the 'more manageable' boat for trailering compared with a
                  Burgundy.

                  (And, this is what goes through my mind, the I60 would be possible to
                  berth in a 30 foot marina slip. In San Francisco 60 foot long end tie
                  berthing is essentially nonexistant.)