Insolent 60 isometric rendering

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=525094641&size=o

      I60. Shown on a broad reach, wow, that would be fast. I learned a
      whole bunch working out the details while making this isometric
      rendering. All in all, a pretty simple boat, with the complexities of
      a full blown schooner rig, of course.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          Its been so long since the talking started on the 60 I have forgotten
          details. Its a breakdown boat correct? Your right, it should be scarily
          fast off the wind in a breeze, spray to the cross trees.

          HJ

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
            > details. Its a breakdown boat correct? Your right, it should be scarily
            > fast off the wind in a breeze, spray to the cross trees.

            Yes, I didn't model the hinges, but they are a relatively simple,
            amounting to not much more than pins through some stout arms (made, I
            am guessing from 1 inch thick steel plate) extending about 18 inches
            above the P&S rails at the fore and aft bulkheads visible here.

            http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=525116415&context=photostream&size=o

            Both the hinge planes are angled a bit, the aft one a couple degrees,
            and for fore one about ten degrees so the fore and after pieces don't
            hit when on top of the cabin.
          • Susan Davis
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007

              > http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=525094641&size=o
              >
              > I60. Shown on a broad reach, wow, that would be fast.

              Ooo, I've got to get me one of those.

              :-)

              In all seriousness, in what format is the original 3D model? Amanda
              has been playing around with Maya lately....

              --
              Susan Davis <secretary@...>
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
                I modeled it using the Free!Ship boat modeling software.

                > In all seriousness, in what format is the original 3D model? Amanda
                > has been playing around with Maya lately....
              • John and Kathy Trussell
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007
                  Other than the splash pad, this looks a little like 'Burgundy' which, as far as I know, has never been built and which is a somewhat more manageable size.

                  JohnT

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
                    On 6/3/07, John and Kathy Trussell <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

                    > Other than the splash pad, this looks a little like 'Burgundy' which, as far as I know, has never been built and which is a somewhat more manageable size.
                    >
                    > JohnT

                    I agree, the hull shape falls into a rather large family of Bolger
                    hard chined Sharpies, including Burgundy. 'Somewhat more manageable'
                    to for the building, absolutely, I bet you could build ten Burgundy's
                    in the time to build one I60. Yet, as a sign of Bolger's genius, the
                    I60 would be the 'more manageable' boat for trailering compared with a
                    Burgundy.

                    (And, this is what goes through my mind, the I60 would be possible to
                    berth in a 30 foot marina slip. In San Francisco 60 foot long end tie
                    berthing is essentially nonexistant.)