Re: [bolger] Re: Nymph dinghy

  • rick barnes
    Message 1 of 49 , Jun 1, 2007
      Well, they are a simple enough boat to build, so I'll start with the Rubens, and maybe build a regular Nymph in the not so distant future. They are a bit prettier with the thinner lines. The one I saw built and taped in action was done by one who is less than agile, so some of the sailing issues could have been his own, not the boats. I have found with the boat I built, and by reading others reports, that Bolger's boats tend to do what they were designed to do well.

      Rick

      ira einsteen <einsteen@...> wrote:
      It's no problem at all getting from the Nymph onto the
      boat or visa versa. Like your piroug she has a lot
      more reserve bouyancy than you expect, so you can
      stand on the bottom of the hull to either side of the
      fore/aft seat thwart (I forget what it's called but
      it's a great idea), without even coming close to
      tipping her. The only problem is you have to remind
      passengers not familiar with the dinghy to step down
      onto the hull bottom, not the seat. Most people don't
      want to step down onto the seemingly small floor area,
      and if they step onto the seat the center of gravity
      is too high and they can be thrown into the water, or
      at least be given a good scare. I always get into the
      dinghy first now to stabilize her for oncoming
      passengers who don't know her.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Stefan Probst
      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 18, 2007
        This one was stuck for a looooong time in my outbox...

        (apologies for not cutting the original at the bottom, but it's been
        long time, and it might be easier to have a "tail" than to have to dig
        through archives)

        Graeme,
        thanks for looking things up. Unfortunately, we are not much further.
        As it stands now with the Bolger Houseboat variants:

        - Houseboat (19'9" x 7'10")
        Seems to be an original design. The text says at least nothing
        that it would be an update of another design.
        Scans on Yahoo study_plans_only and Cartoons are basically
        identical to the ones on http://euler.sfasu.edu/Shantyboats ..
        and are probably from CSD catalogue and CSD books.
        then there is
        - Barge Houseboat BWAOM Ch#58 (25'6" x 7'10") (Yahoo Database)
        Maybe somebody who has the BWOAM can verify the dimensions,
        and even upload a scan to compare with the other version.
        Is there a Design Number mentioned in BWAOM?
        and finally there is
        - Barge Houseboat #481 (20' x 8') (according to Yahoo Database)
        Could be a modified version of the first Houseboat,
        or the same, or another one ....

        Just trying to get an Update 4 finished...

        Cheers, and thanks,
        Stefan