Re: [bolger] Re:Nymph dinghy

  • rick barnes
    Message 1 of 49 , Jun 1, 2007
      I think that is a cool idea with the foam tubes, and the red and green is a perfectly practical application. Let me know how that turns out on Nymph. How do you plan on lashing them?

      Rick

      Daniel Stewart <stewartd@...> wrote:
      I've never been in a Nymph but I'm halfway through building one--the
      bilge pieces go on today. Having read that the Nymph is a bit tippy
      and since there is no buoyancy built in, I plan to get two of those
      long foam tubes that small kids use for swimming and lash them under
      the gunwales--they're about six feet long and should provide 200 lbs
      or so of flotation and make it difficult in particular to roll the
      gunwales under. They will also serve as permanent fenders. This is not
      my original idea, I wish it were--I read it somewhere but can't
      remember the details.

      For the sake of mischief the starboard one will be green and the port,
      red.

      Daniel
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ira einsteen <einsteen@...> wrote:

      > I've had a Nymph for close to 20 years now. She's a
      > great dinghy. She seems a bit tender but will only
      > go over so far unless you really try to tip her. I
      > use her with 2 adults all the time (325 lbs.of crew),
      > with those same 2 adults and 2 dogs quite often (450
      > lbs. of crew), and the same 2 adults and 2 kids in her
      > many times when conditions were calm. (500+ lbs.) She
      > has plenty of freeboard and is a dream to row. I've
      > never sailed her but have talked to people that have
      > and they've been impressed with her. She tows well. I
      > constructed her with exterior A/B ply and sheathed her
      > with 6 oz. cloth and polyester resin. She's kept at
      > our harbor dinghy rack, outdoors, 24/7 365, and short
      > of patching some fiberglass from dragging over rocks
      > she's never needed any serious work. As you can tell
      > I've been very happy with her. I don't know firsthand
      > the tortoise or the brick, but from what I do know of
      > hull design and characteristics they can't be as
      > functional as a nymph, though admittedly a bit easier
      > and faster to build.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Stefan Probst
      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 18, 2007
        This one was stuck for a looooong time in my outbox...

        (apologies for not cutting the original at the bottom, but it's been
        long time, and it might be easier to have a "tail" than to have to dig
        through archives)

        Graeme,
        thanks for looking things up. Unfortunately, we are not much further.
        As it stands now with the Bolger Houseboat variants:

        - Houseboat (19'9" x 7'10")
        Seems to be an original design. The text says at least nothing
        that it would be an update of another design.
        Scans on Yahoo study_plans_only and Cartoons are basically
        identical to the ones on http://euler.sfasu.edu/Shantyboats ..
        and are probably from CSD catalogue and CSD books.
        then there is
        - Barge Houseboat BWAOM Ch#58 (25'6" x 7'10") (Yahoo Database)
        Maybe somebody who has the BWOAM can verify the dimensions,
        and even upload a scan to compare with the other version.
        Is there a Design Number mentioned in BWAOM?
        and finally there is
        - Barge Houseboat #481 (20' x 8') (according to Yahoo Database)
        Could be a modified version of the first Houseboat,
        or the same, or another one ....

        Just trying to get an Update 4 finished...

        Cheers, and thanks,
        Stefan