Re: [bolger] Re: Bearing Buddies

  • rick barnes
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
      Haven't we tormented those poor Neanderthals enough. It's enough to make a cave man go extinct.

      "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote: Sorry Kristine when you said "so easy even I can do it" I had the
      mental pic of the Geico cave man adds.

      Jon

      > All you need to do is just pull the dust cover and
      > measure across the dustcap. Take a rule and if the cap
      > is a tad over 1 3/4 you know you need the one that is
      > 1.78 or what ever it was. If it's just under 2 inch
      > you need the one that is 1.98.
      >
      > Buying the bearing may or may not help. Some hubs have
      > more relefe for the bearing race then others. So why
      > spend the money when you can get the same info with
      > pulling the dustcap and a rule. For me it's a no
      > brainer even I can do it!
      >
      > Also they make a plastic cap the covers the Bearing
      > Buddy as well and that helps keep the dust a grime out
      > of the center of the Bearing Buddy.
      >
      > Blessings Krissie
      >
      > --- "Christopher C. Wetherill"
      > <wetherillc@...> wrote:
      >
      > > You might consider buying one of these and having it
      > > measured. It is $4.99
      > >

      > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?
      itemnumber=93834

      ______________

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
        On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:11 AM, rick barnes wrote:

        > Haven't we tormented those poor Neanderthals enough. It's enough
        > to make a cave man go extinct.

        Used a digital caliper at a parts counter and, depending how snugly
        and / or how out of round, measured the dust cap at either 2.049 or
        2.051 inches. Hah! BB makes one 2.047". Measured the hubs themselves
        back home with an old Craftsman that has a mixed up sliding scale
        that always baffles me a little. Close enough.

        Ordered a pair of stainless model 2047s w/ bras to try direct from
        BB, just $32.85

        Thanks to all.
        Mark
      • ANDREW AIREY
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
          I dont know what the situation is when buying bearings
          on your side of the pond but the discounting situation
          over here used to be weird.Never pay list.I used to be
          able to get 25 to 40 percent off virtually for the
          asking,50 percent if you pushed it,and my partner in
          our small engineering business got 60percent if he let
          it be assumed that he still worked for British Steel.
          You can have fun with bearings.We were off to a Brough
          Superior owners club rally(Think of Brough Superiors
          as a sort of upmarket Harley Davidson made in England
          from 1920 to 1940)in East Anglia when the rear wheel
          bearing,which had apparently been grumbling a bit all
          week,decided to get noisy.We got another bearing from
          a stockist,only one they had,changed the bearing and
          went to the rally.On the way back the other wheel
          bearing failed - I'm in the sidecar getting all the
          sound effects.We pulled up on a pub forecourt,borrowed
          a dish and some paraffin(kerosene)from the
          landlord,cleaned the first bearing - it loked like
          silver sand in the bottom of the dish - regreased and
          replaced it and got home with fingers and everything
          else crossed.
          cheers
          Andy Airey

        • Patrick Crockett
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
            Ah, bearing stories! I learned to carry a set in the tow vehicle when I
            had my second boat. I gave my third boat to my sister, who subsequently
            moved into a beach house on the Texas Gulf Coast. I visited her after
            she'd been living there for a year and suggested we take the boat out.
            We made it about four blocks down the road when one of the trailer
            bearings froze up. (It was hot. It was REAL hot, but it was frozen.)
            Sunday morning.

            We borrowed some tools from a gas station, (including a cold chisel) and
            I spent a couple hot hours cutting the old bearings off the axles in the
            sand alongside the road. By then an automotive store had opened, we
            bought new bearings, greased them up, and were on our way for an
            interesting day sail in which the rudder popped off (as it was wont to
            do) in the Intracoastal Waterway in front of a very large barge.
            Actually, the barge was a couple hundred yards off, but my 8-year-old
            nephew was fully convinced we were about to die as I asked my sister to,
            "Keep an eye on things and let me know if we get into trouble," while I
            was head-down over the stern slipping pintles back into gudgeons. She
            later later said to our other sister, "Get INTO trouble? What was that
            we were already in?"

            Patrick

          • catboat15@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
              Not much help in keeping your trailer wheels dry, but remember to put your
              launching hitch at the end of the tow vehicle that does not do the pulling (or
              pushing). On my van with rear wheel drive I added a hitch on the front
              bumper so I still have my driving wheels on dry land. Visa versa for front wheel
              drive vehicles. It is embarrassing when your tow vehicle slides on the moss
              and can't get off the ramp.

            • Kristine Bennett
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
                Yes I bet you did see that in your mind. The funny
                thing is I run Mills and Lathes and stuff like that at
                work.

                But I'm not a cave woman.... Maybe an Amazon woman.
                There are times I wish I was not 6 feet tall but
                others I am glad I am.

                Blessings all
                Krissie

                Looking for earth-friendly autos?