Re: [bolger] Micro Tabernacle

  • Derek Waters
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi Bob

      There is a Bolger & Friends tabernacle design for the Micro, almost
      certainly available from them as an upgrade sheet or two for your existing
      Micro plans. The tabernacle is mounted forward of the original bow transom,
      and the mizzen sail is amended to maintain sail balance. That would probably
      be the most sensible bet.

      Alternatively, our Micro has a tabernacled mast which retains the mast in
      the same fore and aft position as the original design, leaving sail balance
      unaltered. Of what do you need pictures?

      cheers
      Derek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
        On 5/31/07, robert181605 <fuzzwurzle@...> wrote:

        > Hi am building a Micro, the LM is too much, does anyone know of
        > drawings or pictures of a Micro with mainmast in a tabernacle? Or
        > suggestions?
        >
        > Bob

        I own the Chinese Gaff Navigator type of Micro, and I do not feel any
        need for a tabernacle. Stepping the mast is easy and handy, due to
        the ability to stand on top of the cabin (at the balance point of the
        mast) to insert the mast into the mast step. Easy. The hard thing is
        keeping the vertical lines and halyards untangled (while they droop on
        the horizontal). That problem would be identical with a tabernacle or
        not.

        If I was building the standard sprit rig cuddy type of Micro, I most
        certainly would avoid all things that increased the complexity. The
        beauty of that design is the elegant simplicity. Don't ruin the
        simplicity. Do you need to pass under a low bridge very often? Even
        if yes, consider that the mast can be potentially light enough to step
        and unstep conventionally, taking just moderate+ strength.
      • mannthree
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
          Bruce,

          I never found stepping the Nicro mast a trivial exercise. From
          memory, my mast weighed about 35lbs and at 23 feet, it was a tricky
          manouvre to get it into or out of the slot, especially with a wet
          deck. I think that if you are a keen sailor and want to sail every
          weekend, and you store the boat at home, then the tabernacle is almost
          essential. It is not a problem for me now because my mast is only 17
          feet long and I keep my boat on a swing mooring. I had a tabernacle,
          but it fractured because I used (bad advice) unsuitable wood but I
          found it extremely helpful when getting the boat into and out of the
          water. I would be interested to hear any comments from you in making
          the mast lighter to aid stepping and unstepping,

          Regards,

          John Mann

          > On 5/31/07, robert181605 <fuzzwurzle@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi am building a Micro, the LM is too much, does anyone know of
          > > drawings or pictures of a Micro with mainmast in a tabernacle? Or
          > > suggestions?
          > >
          > > Bob
          >
          > I own the Chinese Gaff Navigator type of Micro, and I do not feel any
          > need for a tabernacle. Stepping the mast is easy and handy, due to
          > the ability to stand on top of the cabin (at the balance point of the
          > mast) to insert the mast into the mast step. Easy. The hard thing is
          > keeping the vertical lines and halyards untangled (while they droop on
          > the horizontal). That problem would be identical with a tabernacle or
          > not.
          >
          > If I was building the standard sprit rig cuddy type of Micro, I most
          > certainly would avoid all things that increased the complexity. The
          > beauty of that design is the elegant simplicity. Don't ruin the
          > simplicity. Do you need to pass under a low bridge very often? Even
          > if yes, consider that the mast can be potentially light enough to step
          > and unstep conventionally, taking just moderate+ strength.

        • robert181605
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
            Thanks Bruce, John,
            Sorry I didn't search before postings but is helps anyway, the latest
            mod to the bow to stop wave slap and with the tabernacle I will check
            out if pictures can be sent I'd appreciate it, could just put the
            tabernacle where the mast is in the Micro drawings. The reason for
            asking is mostly safety I have slight balance problems and would like
            the option if building so I can use canals without assistance and ease
            of fixing something up top in rouch weather.

            Yes please pictures would be great.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
              > I never found stepping the Nicro mast a trivial exercise. From
              > memory, my mast weighed about 35lbs and at 23 feet, it was a tricky
              > manouvre to get it into or out of the slot, especially with a wet
              > deck.

              Well, my mast is 20 feet long, and definitely weighs more than 35
              pounds. The problem is not so much the weight as the awkwardness.
              Essential is a place to hold the mast at the balance point prior to
              rotation. The Micro Navigator cabin roof is located at exactly the
              right spot. Starting with the mast resting on the cabin alongships,
              my body facing athwardships, I just clean-and-jerk the mast to
              shoulder height, rotate my body 90 degrees, rest the mast on my
              shoulder, and lower the but of the mast down into the mast step. A
              quick one man operation. I would hesitate to do it floating out on
              rough cold water alone. It probably could be done, but I always find
              a way to do it tied up next to the dock or on the trailer.
            • Nels
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "robert181605" <fuzzwurzle@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Bruce, John,

                > Yes please pictures would be great.
                >
                > Bob

                There is a file at Bolger4 named MICRO NAVIGATOR that has some scans
                showing some details of the latest modifications.

                These plans are available for $50 from Bolger, who feels they are
                useful to consider for a standard Micro was well as the NAV version.

                Changes include an end plate on the rudder, slightly different keel
                profile forward, to accomoddate the anti-slap pad, bow-well much like
                that on the Long Micro with a tabernacle and staff that results in a
                "pointy bow." The bow floatation located somewhat differently, being
                along the sides, covered by a cutaway deck and of course a forward
                companionway and hatch.

                Nels