Micro Tabernacle

  • robert181605
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2007
      Hi am building a Micro, the LM is too much, does anyone know of
      drawings or pictures of a Micro with mainmast in a tabernacle? Or
      suggestions?

      Bob
    • Derek Waters
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
        Hi Bob

        There is a Bolger & Friends tabernacle design for the Micro, almost
        certainly available from them as an upgrade sheet or two for your existing
        Micro plans. The tabernacle is mounted forward of the original bow transom,
        and the mizzen sail is amended to maintain sail balance. That would probably
        be the most sensible bet.

        Alternatively, our Micro has a tabernacled mast which retains the mast in
        the same fore and aft position as the original design, leaving sail balance
        unaltered. Of what do you need pictures?

        cheers
        Derek
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
          On 5/31/07, robert181605 <fuzzwurzle@...> wrote:

          > Hi am building a Micro, the LM is too much, does anyone know of
          > drawings or pictures of a Micro with mainmast in a tabernacle? Or
          > suggestions?
          >
          > Bob

          I own the Chinese Gaff Navigator type of Micro, and I do not feel any
          need for a tabernacle. Stepping the mast is easy and handy, due to
          the ability to stand on top of the cabin (at the balance point of the
          mast) to insert the mast into the mast step. Easy. The hard thing is
          keeping the vertical lines and halyards untangled (while they droop on
          the horizontal). That problem would be identical with a tabernacle or
          not.

          If I was building the standard sprit rig cuddy type of Micro, I most
          certainly would avoid all things that increased the complexity. The
          beauty of that design is the elegant simplicity. Don't ruin the
          simplicity. Do you need to pass under a low bridge very often? Even
          if yes, consider that the mast can be potentially light enough to step
          and unstep conventionally, taking just moderate+ strength.
        • mannthree
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
            Bruce,

            I never found stepping the Nicro mast a trivial exercise. From
            memory, my mast weighed about 35lbs and at 23 feet, it was a tricky
            manouvre to get it into or out of the slot, especially with a wet
            deck. I think that if you are a keen sailor and want to sail every
            weekend, and you store the boat at home, then the tabernacle is almost
            essential. It is not a problem for me now because my mast is only 17
            feet long and I keep my boat on a swing mooring. I had a tabernacle,
            but it fractured because I used (bad advice) unsuitable wood but I
            found it extremely helpful when getting the boat into and out of the
            water. I would be interested to hear any comments from you in making
            the mast lighter to aid stepping and unstepping,

            Regards,

            John Mann

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
              Thanks Bruce, John,
              Sorry I didn't search before postings but is helps anyway, the latest
              mod to the bow to stop wave slap and with the tabernacle I will check
              out if pictures can be sent I'd appreciate it, could just put the
              tabernacle where the mast is in the Micro drawings. The reason for
              asking is mostly safety I have slight balance problems and would like
              the option if building so I can use canals without assistance and ease
              of fixing something up top in rouch weather.

              Yes please pictures would be great.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
                > I never found stepping the Nicro mast a trivial exercise. From
                > memory, my mast weighed about 35lbs and at 23 feet, it was a tricky
                > manouvre to get it into or out of the slot, especially with a wet
                > deck.

                Well, my mast is 20 feet long, and definitely weighs more than 35
                pounds. The problem is not so much the weight as the awkwardness.
                Essential is a place to hold the mast at the balance point prior to
                rotation. The Micro Navigator cabin roof is located at exactly the
                right spot. Starting with the mast resting on the cabin alongships,
                my body facing athwardships, I just clean-and-jerk the mast to
                shoulder height, rotate my body 90 degrees, rest the mast on my
                shoulder, and lower the but of the mast down into the mast step. A
                quick one man operation. I would hesitate to do it floating out on
                rough cold water alone. It probably could be done, but I always find
                a way to do it tied up next to the dock or on the trailer.
              • Nels
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "robert181605" <fuzzwurzle@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Bruce, John,

                  > Yes please pictures would be great.
                  >
                  > Bob

                  There is a file at Bolger4 named MICRO NAVIGATOR that has some scans
                  showing some details of the latest modifications.

                  These plans are available for $50 from Bolger, who feels they are
                  useful to consider for a standard Micro was well as the NAV version.

                  Changes include an end plate on the rudder, slightly different keel
                  profile forward, to accomoddate the anti-slap pad, bow-well much like
                  that on the Long Micro with a tabernacle and staff that results in a
                  "pointy bow." The bow floatation located somewhat differently, being
                  along the sides, covered by a cutaway deck and of course a forward
                  companionway and hatch.

                  Nels