Re: Sailing with girls

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2007
      > On Monday, my 13-year-old daughter and I sailed our Windsprint (Otter,
      > http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/boats.html)

      Nice pix.

      > Only time I've felt comfortable running
      > with a strong breeze in this boat was with Craig O'D aboard (and a
      > broken, non-functional rudder). Amazing how much difference an
      > experienced crew makes.

      I felt comfortable sailing with Craig O'D aboard, too. COD, you must
      inspire confidence. (OK, John Harris was skippering his own boat at the
      time.)

      > Even with the tense moments coming home, it was a great day of sailing
      > (and laying on the ocean-side beach). Topped off by the marina manager
      > saying, as we pulled the boat out, "Looked like you knew what you were
      > doing out there. We all thought you were coming in awful fast, but you
      > just turned and stopped like it was no big deal." They don't get many
      > sailboats (as evidenced by the power line across the drive leading to
      > the boat ramp) and clearly have no concept of a boat so lightweight
      > that, no matter how fast it is going, it has virtually no momentum to
      > carry it directly into the wind.

      Ah, take some credit. We learned how to do this with a C-22, and it
      wasn't as hard as I expected. You can lose a lot of momentum on a hard
      turn. Of course, overshooting is embarrassing. (I've never hit a dock
      as hard with a sailboat as I have with powerboats--wind seems easier to
      control than those dang outboards!).
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2007
        >> On Monday, my 13-year-old daughter and I sailed our Windsprint (Otter,
        >>
        >><http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/boats.html>http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/boats.html)
        >
        >Nice pix.
        >
        >> Only time I've felt comfortable running
        >> with a strong breeze in this boat was with Craig O'D aboard (and a
        >> broken, non-functional rudder). Amazing how much difference an
        >> experienced crew makes.
        >
        >I felt comfortable sailing with Craig O'D aboard, too. COD, you must
        >inspire confidence. (OK, John Harris was skippering his own boat at the
        >time.)

        Great. I get compliments in the thread called "sailing with girls" -- sigh ...

        Then again, in *teaching* sailing to girls in the junior classes, some of
        them "get it" right away, others are a little hesitatnt, but the worst
        panic cases I saw were boys.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
      • Chris Crandall
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
          COD says:

          >Great. I get compliments in the thread called "sailing with girls" --
          >sigh ...

          >Then again, in *teaching* sailing to girls in the junior classes, some
          >of them "get it" right away, others are a little hesitatnt, but the
          >worst panic cases I saw were boys.

          Better to be trusted than feared! The real question is, could you
          possibly teach a cat to sail without panic?

          -Chris
        • Kristine Bennett
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2007
            Hmmm my cat loves to sit on the bow deck with the
            dogs. If Sky (Alaskan malamute big and furry dog) is
            in the water so is the cat... I'm in the shower and I
            forget to close the door I have cat playing tangle
            foot with me in the shower. If I take a bath and the
            cat hears the water I know there is going to be a
            splash shortly after I hear his feet coming down the
            hall.

            So yes you have a cat that loves the water.

            As for teaching the cat to sail I don't think so
            seeing how they have no thumbs and would have a hard
            time pulling on any of the lines that control the
            sail.

            Blessings to all
            Krissie

            PS Yes I know I have a strange cat! So he thinks he's
            a dog!

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
              Never teach the cat to flush, which might be an expediant, bur could
              seriously extend your water bill. Clyde
              Kristine Bennett wrote:

              > Hmmm my cat loves to sit on the bow deck with the
              > dogs. If Sky (Alaskan malamute big and furry dog) is
              > in the water so is the cat... I'm in the shower and I
              > forget to close the door I have cat playing tangle
              > foot with me in the shower. If I take a bath and the
              > cat hears the water I know there is going to be a
              > splash shortly after I hear his feet coming down the
              > hall.
              >
              > So yes you have a cat that loves the water.
              >
              > As for teaching the cat to sail I don't think so
              > seeing how they have no thumbs and would have a hard
              > time pulling on any of the lines that control the
              > sail.
              >
              > Blessings to all
              > Krissie
              >
              > PS Yes I know I have a strange cat! So he thinks he's
              > a dog!
              >

              > > Better to be trusted than feared! The real question
              > > is, could you
              > > possibly teach a cat to sail without panic?
              > >
              > > -Chris

              > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/ <http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/>

            • c o'donnell
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
                Clyde,

                missed you at the Mid Atlantic Small Craft Fest, and of course no
                LILY. What's up?

                On Jun 4, 2007, at 8:40 AM, Clyde Wisner wrote:

                > Never teach the cat to flush, which might be an expediant, bur could
                > seriously extend your water bill. Clyde
                > Kristine Bennett wrote:
                >
                > > Hmmm my cat loves to sit on the bow deck with the
                > > dogs. If Sky (Alaskan malamute big and furry dog) is
                > > in the water so is the cat... I'm in the shower and I
                > > forget to close the door I have cat playing tangle
                > > foot with me in the shower. If I take a bath and the
                > > cat hears the water I know there is going to be a
                > > splash shortly after I hear his feet coming down the
                > > hall.
                > >
                > > So yes you have a cat that loves the water.
                > >
                > > As for teaching the cat to sail I don't think so
                > > seeing how they have no thumbs and would have a hard
                > > time pulling on any of the lines that control the
                > > sail.
                > >
                > > Blessings to all
                > > Krissie
                > >
                > > PS Yes I know I have a strange cat! So he thinks he's
                > > a dog!
                > >

                > > > Better to be trusted than feared! The real question
                > > > is, could you
                > > > possibly teach a cat to sail without panic?
                > > >
                > > > -Chris

                === c o'donnell
                dadadata@...
                Box 232 Betterton 21610

              • Clyde Wisner
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Hi COD, Must have missed each other in the crowd and the heat. Lily is
                  still resting under the car port and bird droppings. I'm going to try to
                  build a motor mount in my pygmy wherry for the minnkota and a couple of
                  batteries. Take it to S Carolina end of the month. I'm still fooling
                  with my house project but I have built a 16X32 boat shed so I can get
                  the junk out of the house and put down flooring.
                  I saw John H at the sailboat show, he didn't remember my name, but said
                  you had moved to Delaware. Please give my best to Kate. Clyde