Re: Three River Launched!

  • Bryant Owen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9 11:03 AM
      Terrific job. Where did you launch?

      Bryant

      Message 2 of 8 , May 9 2:13 PM
        I celebrate your success! Congratulations.

        > - The mizzen doesn't seem to do much, but I think I have much to
        > learn yet about trimming the mizzen.

        I too am learning the tricks of sailing a cat yawl, after decades of
        sailing a sloop.

        Trimming a mizzen is all about 'helm balance'. Sheet it tight when
        you want to point up, and loose otherwise. This means quickly
        sheeting tight and unsheeting during a tack.

        > - The raising/lower of the gaff takes more effort than I thought.

        Me too. I ended up double parting my gaff throat halyard because of
        this. I also double parted the topping lifts.

        > Also, the gaff jaw rubs hard against the mast

        I decided, if I were to 'do over', my gaff jaws could and should have
        been built wider open.

        ( I have a cat yawl question of my own...someone might answer...)

        Q: Recently I experienced an occasion where I could not get her to run
        downwind. What might have caused this?
      • Derek Waters
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9 4:27 PM
          Bruce wrote "...Q: Recently I experienced an occasion where I could not get
          her to run downwind. What might have caused this?"

          Intriguing. What actually happened? The boat wouldn't turn downwind from a
          reach or would not make any progress downwind?What point of sail were you
          on, how were the sails set? &c.Tides / currents? Sea state?
        • bh100014
          Message 4 of 8 , May 9 6:23 PM
            Thanks!

            Launched at the Conestogo Lake in Ontario. It's a small lake where
            we have a sailing club. That's where my boat(s) reside.

            Ben
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

> [...]
            no
            > > hesitation. At this wind there's a slight weather helm, just
            about
            > > right.
            > > - The mizzen doesn't seem to do much, but I think I have much to
            > > learn yet about trimming the mizzen.
            > > - The raising/lower of the gaff takes more effort than I
            thought.
            > > Also, the gaff jaw rubs hard against the mast such that several
            > > spots were stripped bare of varnish, even though the jaw is
            covered
            > > with leather. I think I need to sheath the mast section with a
            piece
            > > of SS sheet. Does anyone else have this problem??
            > > - A hundred other small things need to be worked on, such as
            where
            > > to hang the fenders so they don't destroy the rub rail....but

          • Bryant Owen
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9 7:00 PM
              Always liked K/W - especially the food. My daughter graduated from WLU.

              Any thoughts about the Kingston Messabout in September?

              Bryant- north of Peterborough