Re: [bolger] New Building Birdwatcher-2 pictures

  • Andrew Wallace
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2007
      Bob,
      Congratulations! and thanks for those excellent photos. What a beauty Wave Watcher is in the shot of her on the lake. Very inspirational.
      Andrew.
      New Plymouth, NZ.

      Bob Larkin <boblark@...> wrote:
      I'm quite tardy in updating my BW2 pictures, but they are up now at
      http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_main.htm
      The first page has dates for the other pages, indicating if they are
      new or updated.

      Somewhere along the line, a boat is finished, and everything else is an
      improvement. I declare May 2007 to be that transition!!

      I will continue to add some pictures to the web site, but they will be
      mostly on-the-water pictures, with a few about the still-evolving
      sailing rig.

      Thanks to all for the help with the project. Building has been great,
      and being on the water is even better!

      Bob Larkin
      Corvallis, Oregon

    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2007
        I never realized that the Birdwatcher looked so good.

        HJ

        Andrew Wallace wrote:
        > Bob,
        > Congratulations! and thanks for those excellent photos. What a beauty Wave Watcher is in the shot of her on the lake. Very inspirational.
        > Andrew.
        > New Plymouth, NZ.

      • dnjost
        Message 3 of 17 , May 6, 2007
          Bob-

          The plans are not specific about the sheave on the mast. Did you get
          guidance from Bolger here, or did you go about on your own to rig a
          sheave through the mast? It looks to me as if the halyard just passes
          through a hole in the mast 2" below the tip.

          I finished glueing up my mast today. I have a very slight (1/2) inch
          bend aft, that I hope will straighten out when the jib is bent on and
          tightened.

          Congratulations on a superb job. You went way beyond what I intend.

          David Jost
        • dnjost

            Message 5 of 17 , May 7, 2007
              Hi David - I believe you are right, there is no specific guidance on
              the mast sheave that I know of. I observed that the Ronstan RF431
              sheave just fits the top of the mast, and cut a hole for it. No advise
              from Bolger. There is a lot of luff tension needed with the Solent
              Lug, and a smooth running block helps.

              John Kohnen and I were out today on Fern Ridge sailing, again under
              main sail only. John made the point that getting the main and yard up
              quickly is important when the wind is blowing. There is a fair bit of
              weight involved, and a free-running sheave helps greatly.

              Today we were testing an oversized jaw that I made to convert the
              Solent lug to a Sliding Gunter. This jaw is large enough to not be able
              to wedge if rotated sideways on the mast, and could also just pass over
              the snotter block. Today's test was quite fine, but the winds were
              never more than 10 kts. More tests are needed with higher winds. The
              sailing was fun!

              Your mast should work great. The luff of the main is going to be nice
              and straight from tension, anyway.

              Good luck with the project,

              Bob

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

              > Bob-
              >
              > The plans are not specific about the sheave on the mast. Did you get
              > guidance from Bolger here, or did you go about on your own to rig a
              > sheave through the mast? It looks to me as if the halyard just
              passes
              > through a hole in the mast 2" below the tip.
              >
              > I finished glueing up my mast today. I have a very slight (1/2) inch
              > bend aft, that I hope will straighten out when the jib is bent on and
              > tightened.
              >
              > Congratulations on a superb job. You went way beyond what I intend.
              >
              > David Jost

            • Steven DAntonio
              Message 6 of 17 , May 7, 2007
                Does anyone have any good closeup pictures of a sprit rig, especially
                the ends of the sprit boom (ropes and knots for the snotter and the
                other end), and the binding for the sprit to the mast. Dynamite's
                descriptions are great if you already know what your doing. But
                having not seen a sprit rigged boat (like a sunfish) since boyscout
                camp (somewhere back if the late 1960's) I sort of forget the details.
                Also just bought a copy of the "sailmakers apprentice", that might
                tell me a some of what I need to know.

                Thanks,
                Steven
                You could either start a folder or send them directoy to me
                sdantonio93@...
              • pgochnour@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , May 7, 2007
                  Hi Steven....best book I've seen on that subject is "The Working Guide to
                  Traditional Small Boat Sails," by Dave Nichols. You can order it from the
                  Duickwoks folks ( duckworksmagazine.com) or directly from Dave (
                  arrowheadboats.com). It has very explicit diagrams and great photos. Does this mean you're
                  about to put that Teal on the water?
                  Tyson in Galveston

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 7, 2007
                    Thanks, I especially like this photo:

                    http://www.proaxis.com/~janlark/bw2_fos2.jpg
                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 7, 2007
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, pgochnour@... wrote:

                      > Hi Steven....best book I've seen on that subject is "The Working
                      Guide to
                      > Traditional Small Boat Sails," by Dave Nichols. You can order it
                      from the
                      > Duickwoks folks ( duckworksmagazine.com) or directly from Dave (
                      > arrowheadboats.com). It has very explicit diagrams and great photos.
                      Does this mean you're
                      > about to put that Teal on the water?
                      > Tyson in Galveston

                      Jim Michalak also has an article in his newsletter on how to rig a
                      sail for Teal:

                      http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/1999/0615/index.htm

                      Dave has a short article at DW mag on snotters:

                      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/nichols/index2.htm

                      And Dynamite did a write up on rigging a leg'o mutton in his previous
                      book. "Build the New Instant Boats."

                      Nels
                    • Bob Larkin
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 7, 2007
                        Thanks, Bruce. Jim and Bob had a motor and circled around! This made
                        for an interseting angle on the rig. The thing that jumps out to me is
                        the importance of luff tension on the Solent lug. Lynne at Sailmaker's
                        Art made the sail with a good luff rope, and I ended up with a four-
                        part downhaul. It needs to be tight!

                        When we played with the Sliding Gunter yesterday, one feature was
                        closing up the gap to the mast along the yard, on a beat. This appears
                        to be an aerodynamic improvement.

                        Bob

                        > Thanks, I especially like this photo:
                        >
                        > http://www.proaxis.com/~janlark/bw2_fos2.jpg

                      • danoyes1
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 8, 2007
                          Hi steve
                          the sunny is a lateen rig, similar to a sprit in simplicity.
                          stopper knots are great for a sprit rig, I've seen sprits with holes
                          and notches and loops, really depends on the design. at the top of the
                          sprit pole I use a beefy nail driven into a generous hole in the end
                          grain of the spar, just loop the sail over it, raise the sprit and off
                          you go!
                          for photos of a sprit I threw together from 4x4, 2x2 and an old blown
                          out jib go to the Schooner Dory portion of my website at
                          http://dansdories.googlepages.com

                          Daniel N.

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steven DAntonio" <sdantonio93@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Does anyone have any good closeup pictures of a sprit rig, especially
                          > the ends of the sprit boom (ropes and knots for the snotter and the
                          > other end), and the binding for the sprit to the mast. Dynamite's
                          > descriptions are great if you already know what your doing. But
                          > having not seen a sprit rigged boat (like a sunfish) since boyscout
                          > camp (somewhere back if the late 1960's) I sort of forget the
                          details.
                          > Also just bought a copy of the "sailmakers apprentice", that might
                          > tell me a some of what I need to know.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Steven
                          > You could either start a folder or send them directoy to me
                          > sdantonio93@...

                        • Steven DAntonio
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 8, 2007
                            Hi Tyson,

                            Not even close. Haven't even bought the wood yet. I have a big
                            interiew in Calif the end of the week (flying out Thursday,
                            interviewing Friday and flying back Saturday). Spent the last few
                            weeks reviewing electronics and other stuff I haven't had to deal with
                            in about 10 years. If I get the job I then fly back to Calif for 4
                            weeks training and then after that I essentially can work out of my
                            home office here in Massachusetts. Then I can start the Teal (lets
                            say, sometime towards the end of July).

                            Of course, if I don't get it then I can start the Teal on Sunday.

                            I'm just planning ahead.

                            Steven

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, pgochnour@... wrote:

                            > Hi Steven....best book I've seen on that subject is "The Working
                            Guide to
                            > Traditional Small Boat Sails," by Dave Nichols. You can order it
                            from the
                            > Duickwoks folks ( duckworksmagazine.com) or directly from Dave (
                            > arrowheadboats.com). It has very explicit diagrams and great photos.
                            Does this mean you're
                            > about to put that Teal on the water?
                            > Tyson in Galveston

                          • Steven DAntonio
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 8, 2007
                              Nels,

                              Thanks for the duckworks article link, I hadn't seen that, but I think
                              it answers most of my questions. I already had the Michalak article
                              and I will have to dig out Paysons book and look that up too.

                              Steven

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, pgochnour@ wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Steven....best book I've seen on that subject is "The Working
                              > Guide to
                              > > Traditional Small Boat Sails," by Dave Nichols. You can order it
                              > from the
                              > > Duickwoks folks ( duckworksmagazine.com) or directly from Dave (
                              > > arrowheadboats.com). It has very explicit diagrams and great photos.
                              > Does this mean you're
                              > > about to put that Teal on the water?
                              > > Tyson in Galveston
                              >
                              > Jim Michalak also has an article in his newsletter on how to rig a
                              > sail for Teal:
                              >
                              > http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/1999/0615/index.htm
                              >
                              > Dave has a short article at DW mag on snotters:
                              >
                              > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/nichols/index2.htm
                              >
                              > And Dynamite did a write up on rigging a leg'o mutton in his previous
                              > book. "Build the New Instant Boats."
                              >
                              > Nels

                            • Christopher C. Wetherill
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 8, 2007
                                I have a sprit rig that was custom made, by a now defunct awning maker in
                                Philadelphia, for a Sea Bright skiff. The luff is secured to mast with rope
                                grommet hoops. The foot is laced to a boom with an outhaul and a downhaul.
                                The snotter for the sprit has an eye splice in one end that slips into a
                                fork in the end of the sprit. It then leads through a fairlead on the mast
                                and belays on a cleat. The other end of the sprit inserts through a metal
                                grommet at the peak. The grommet is a bronze thimble with the bolt-rope
                                doubled around it.

                                This boat is 16 feet long. The main is 78 sq. feet. There is also a 21 sq.
                                foot jib. I was able to set them in under 1 minute.

                                V/R
                                Chris
                              • craig o'donnell
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 14, 2007
                                  I have a set of Chesapeake 17 kayak plans that I'm not going to use. I'd
                                  like to trade for say Sneakeasy plans or June Bug plans. Anyone interested,
                                  please contact me offlist.

                                  Cheers -- COD
                                  --
                                  Craig O'Donnell
                                  Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                                  -- Macintosh kinda guy
                                  Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.