Sweet pea - Stretched Dory

  • courrielel
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2007
      Hi (happy tax payers)
      I have just read Dynamite Payson's last book that includes two plans
      that I would like to build.
      First one is Sweet Pea : I want this boat for rowing only and was
      wondering if she could be built stitch and glue ?
      Second for rowing too is the Stretched Dory. But at 19'6'' she is a
      bit big for me. Can she be reduced to around 17' (10%) without
      changing her performances ?
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "courrielel" <courrielel@...> wrote:

        > Second for rowing too is the Stretched Dory. But at 19'6'' she is a
        > bit big for me. Can she be reduced to around 17' (10%) without
        > changing her performances ?

        There are plans available for a 15'6" version at Dynamite's website:

        http://www.instantboats.com/ggull.htm

        The problem with that one is that it is awkward for carrying a
        passenger and that is why the longer one was designed.

        Another excellent rowing boat is Gypsy which is tack and tape. It
        could be built without the sailing accoutments if one only wanted to
        row, or use a tiny motor. However it is not a double ender.

        http://www.instantboats.com/images/gypsyst.gif

        Nels
      • Sam Glasscock
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2007
          Having built and rowed the streched dory, I found her
          a very small 19'. She is a beautiful boat, will take
          three but rows perfeclty with only one aboard, and is
          an easy build. The original Gloucester Gull is
          already, in effect, a scaled down version, but the
          streched boat is faster to row and easy to
          manage--don't let the length scare you, is my advice.
          --- courrielel <courrielel@...> wrote:

          > Hi (happy tax payers)
          > I have just read Dynamite Payson's last book that
          > includes two plans
          > that I would like to build.
          > First one is Sweet Pea : I want this boat for rowing
          > only and was
          > wondering if she could be built stitch and glue ?
          > Second for rowing too is the Stretched Dory. But at
          > 19'6'' she is a
          > bit big for me. Can she be reduced to around 17'
          > (10%) without
          > changing her performances ?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • John and Kathy Trussell