Re: Promising Product for waterproofing wood

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2007
      I understand you where talking about green wood not green product.
      Green wood is poor for boat building and products that are preshered
      into wood like wood treated for outdoor decks don't work eather. This
      was a product to replace chems used to presher treat as in a green
      product. Many many products have come and gone trying to protect
      decks and outdoor wood items that don't work well on boats or live up
      to what they say. With all the litigation that went on with breast
      implants and silicon the odds of some one hitting a small company and
      putting it under are high. Invest with caution and do side by side
      epoxy glue tests boiling freezing and breaking before even thinking
      of useing in a boat. Another test with dry wood is to coat it let dry
      weigh it when submerge for a week and see how much weight it gains in
      water. Again water proof is different then water resistant. Just some
      other food for thought.

      Jon

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "cattjd" <cattjd@...> wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mkriley48" <mkriley@> wrote:
      > >
      > > the fact that this contains silicon renders it completely
      unsuitable
      > > for boats!! This will interfere with the proper bonding of glues
      and
      > > paints. It may be able to have a coat of latex floated over it and
      > > have it dry but it will not have proper adhesion. If it repels
      water
      > > it repels paint. Also I would point out that wood oils are
      capable of
      > > causing epoxy joints to fail over time, oak and teak come to
      mind. So
      > > the verdict is still to be determined on this ingredient.
      > > mike
      > >
      > I just ordered a gallon of CedarShield. According to Dave at
      CedarCide