Re: Promising Product for waterproofing wood

  • mkriley48
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2007
      the fact that this contains silicon renders it completely unsuitable
      for boats!! This will interfere with the proper bonding of glues and
      paints. It may be able to have a coat of latex floated over it and
      have it dry but it will not have proper adhesion. If it repels water
      it repels paint. Also I would point out that wood oils are capable of
      causing epoxy joints to fail over time, oak and teak come to mind. So
      the verdict is still to be determined on this ingredient.
      mike
    • cattjd
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mkriley48" <mkriley@...> wrote:

        > the fact that this contains silicon renders it completely unsuitable
        > for boats!! This will interfere with the proper bonding of glues and
        > paints. It may be able to have a coat of latex floated over it and
        > have it dry but it will not have proper adhesion. If it repels water
        > it repels paint. Also I would point out that wood oils are capable of
        > causing epoxy joints to fail over time, oak and teak come to mind. So
        > the verdict is still to be determined on this ingredient.
        > mike

        I just ordered a gallon of CedarShield. According to Dave at CedarCide
        it has no compromise to any adhesives including epoxy. It will accept
        latex paints after 72 hours. If anyone is interested I'll do a follow
        up post after I get it.

        Jeff
      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2007
          I understand you where talking about green wood not green product.
          Green wood is poor for boat building and products that are preshered
          into wood like wood treated for outdoor decks don't work eather. This
          was a product to replace chems used to presher treat as in a green
          product. Many many products have come and gone trying to protect
          decks and outdoor wood items that don't work well on boats or live up
          to what they say. With all the litigation that went on with breast
          implants and silicon the odds of some one hitting a small company and
          putting it under are high. Invest with caution and do side by side
          epoxy glue tests boiling freezing and breaking before even thinking
          of useing in a boat. Another test with dry wood is to coat it let dry
          weigh it when submerge for a week and see how much weight it gains in
          water. Again water proof is different then water resistant. Just some
          other food for thought.

          Jon