RE: [bolger] Re: 100 year old Tennessee ??

  • Chester Young
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 10:27 AM
      I found an article on Hickman and after the flat bottom he added vertical
      panels that extended down from the hull sides, this eventually became the
      sea sled concept.

      Starting in the autumn of 1908, Hickman and Munsie began their research
      with the similar, but better finished, VIPER II. They realized that the
      boat's flat bottom was forcing out spray and a considerable wake. In his
      engineer's mind, Hickman saw it as energy that was being wasted. To prevent
      this, side plates that looked like straight bronze sled runners were added
      at the chines and proved effective in trapping air and redirecting spray
      back underneath the boat. The end result was increased lift and speed from
      the same power. To Hickman, it was becoming obvious that "the principle of
      confining air beneath the hull might be of the utmost importance in the
      development of boats that are to be run at speed".

      Full article at:

      http://members.fortunecity.com/invertedvboats/Hickman_Bio.html

      Caloosarat

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 1:08 PM
        Bolger says in Different Boats that the styling reminds him of an
        old ACF (American Car & Foundry) cruiser. The only photo of an ACF
        cruiser I could find on the web can be seen by clicking on the link
        at this page:

        http://www.locomobilia.com/nautical_memorabilia_sale_literature.htm

        To me, this one doesn't look much like Tennessee. ELCO launches of
        the same period were similar to Tennessee in styling. See:

        http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h99000/h99880k.jpg

        Howard

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <ddvorak@...> wrote:

        > It may be my imagination, but this sure could pass for a
        Tennessee .

        http://www.trabatsakuten.nu/batbilder/storre_motorbatar/stor_mot_085.
        htm

        > what do ya' think ?? the canoe stern sure adds a nice touch.
      • The Peillet-Long Family
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4 2:46 AM
          Try this link -- I can't read the text, but there are reproductions
          of old AC&F, Chris Craft and many more ads and brochures. The AC&F
          reference for Tennessee is easier to see here.

          <http://www.cmbweb.no/Kuriositeter.htm>

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
          <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

          > Bolger says in Different Boats that the styling reminds him of an
          > old ACF (American Car & Foundry) cruiser. The only photo of an ACF
          > cruiser I could find on the web can be seen by clicking on the link
          > at this page:
          >
          > http://www.locomobilia.com/nautical_memorabilia_sale_literature.htm
          >
          > To me, this one doesn't look much like Tennessee. ELCO launches of
          > the same period were similar to Tennessee in styling. See:
          >
          > http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h99000/h99880k.jpg
          >
          > Howard
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <ddvorak@> wrote:
          > >

          > > It may be my imagination, but this sure could pass for a
          > Tennessee .

          http://www.trabatsakuten.nu/batbilder/storre_motorbatar/stor_mot_085.
          > htm
          > >
          > > what do ya' think ?? the canoe stern sure adds a nice touch.

        • Clyde Wisner
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8 5:12 AM
            I finally got a "faster' dial up connection and got to see all the
            pictures. Really pretty boat but I can't help seeing a slightly smaller
            version on a Topaz hull. It's a sickness I guess. Clyde

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
              Thanks for posting. I keep coming back to this set of picts. This is
              what I'd try to do with a Topaz hull. (and may if I live long enough) Clyde