RE: [bolger] Re: 100 year old Tennessee ??

  • Chester Young
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Without the books in front of me there may be some error in the following;
      Tennessee was a spin off of a update of a design that was intended to allow
      steam to compete with the new gasoline engines, about 100 years ago.
      Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed it into
      a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series. PCB credits
      Mr Hickman in the article that he wrote on Ester Mae in MAIB.

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        > Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed
        it into
        > a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series.

        Not to be too pedantic, I would say Hickman yes, SeaSled no. Hickman
        did both but the SeaSled was a different idea, not a development of
        the flat bottom.
      • Chester Young
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          I found an article on Hickman and after the flat bottom he added vertical
          panels that extended down from the hull sides, this eventually became the
          sea sled concept.

          Starting in the autumn of 1908, Hickman and Munsie began their research
          with the similar, but better finished, VIPER II. They realized that the
          boat's flat bottom was forcing out spray and a considerable wake. In his
          engineer's mind, Hickman saw it as energy that was being wasted. To prevent
          this, side plates that looked like straight bronze sled runners were added
          at the chines and proved effective in trapping air and redirecting spray
          back underneath the boat. The end result was increased lift and speed from
          the same power. To Hickman, it was becoming obvious that "the principle of
          confining air beneath the hull might be of the utmost importance in the
          development of boats that are to be run at speed".

          Full article at:

          http://members.fortunecity.com/invertedvboats/Hickman_Bio.html

          Caloosarat

          _____

          > Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed
          it into
          > a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series.

          Not to be too pedantic, I would say Hickman yes, SeaSled no. Hickman
          did both but the SeaSled was a different idea, not a development of
          the flat bottom.

        • Howard Stephenson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Bolger says in Different Boats that the styling reminds him of an
            old ACF (American Car & Foundry) cruiser. The only photo of an ACF
            cruiser I could find on the web can be seen by clicking on the link
            at this page:

            http://www.locomobilia.com/nautical_memorabilia_sale_literature.htm

            To me, this one doesn't look much like Tennessee. ELCO launches of
            the same period were similar to Tennessee in styling. See:

            http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h99000/h99880k.jpg

            Howard

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <ddvorak@...> wrote:

            > It may be my imagination, but this sure could pass for a
            Tennessee .

            http://www.trabatsakuten.nu/batbilder/storre_motorbatar/stor_mot_085.
            htm

            > what do ya' think ?? the canoe stern sure adds a nice touch.
          • The Peillet-Long Family
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2007
              Try this link -- I can't read the text, but there are reproductions
              of old AC&F, Chris Craft and many more ads and brochures. The AC&F
              reference for Tennessee is easier to see here.

              <http://www.cmbweb.no/Kuriositeter.htm>

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
              <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

              > Bolger says in Different Boats that the styling reminds him of an
              > old ACF (American Car & Foundry) cruiser. The only photo of an ACF
              > cruiser I could find on the web can be seen by clicking on the link
              > at this page:
              >
              > http://www.locomobilia.com/nautical_memorabilia_sale_literature.htm
              >
              > To me, this one doesn't look much like Tennessee. ELCO launches of
              > the same period were similar to Tennessee in styling. See:
              >
              > http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h99000/h99880k.jpg
              >
              > Howard
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <ddvorak@> wrote:
              > >

              > > It may be my imagination, but this sure could pass for a
              > Tennessee .

              http://www.trabatsakuten.nu/batbilder/storre_motorbatar/stor_mot_085.
              > htm
              > >
              > > what do ya' think ?? the canoe stern sure adds a nice touch.

            • Clyde Wisner
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2007
                I finally got a "faster' dial up connection and got to see all the
                pictures. Really pretty boat but I can't help seeing a slightly smaller
                version on a Topaz hull. It's a sickness I guess. Clyde

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
                  Thanks for posting. I keep coming back to this set of picts. This is
                  what I'd try to do with a Topaz hull. (and may if I live long enough) Clyde