Re: Which side of AC plywood to face outward?

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2007
      Hi Dan,

      > If building a plywood boat where the exterior of the hull (but not
      the
      > interior) is to be covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxied, it
      would
      > seem to make sense to face the poorer side of AC exterior grade
      > plywood outward. That way imperfections on the exterior can be filled
      > and the fiberglass/epoxy should prevent or greatly reduce any
      checking
      > and protect the surface.

      That's exactly how I've done it, too. Works great with this
      AC "Superply" I've found, since it has a nice luan A-side for a smooth
      paint finish with little effort. If the interior face is fir, you may
      still wind up with checking, however. The exterior should hold up for
      years with glass/epoxy sheathing.

      Jon Kolb