Re: 100 year old Tennessee ??

  • The Peillet-Long Family
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      As I remember, Tennessee was inspired by 1920s motor cruisers, so it's not far off.
      Beautiful, beautiful boat.
    • Chester Young
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        Without the books in front of me there may be some error in the following;
        Tennessee was a spin off of a update of a design that was intended to allow
        steam to compete with the new gasoline engines, about 100 years ago.
        Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed it into
        a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series. PCB credits
        Mr Hickman in the article that he wrote on Ester Mae in MAIB.

        _____

        As I remember, Tennessee was inspired by 1920s motor cruisers, so it's not
        far off.
        Beautiful, beautiful boat.

      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          > Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed
          it into
          > a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series.

          Not to be too pedantic, I would say Hickman yes, SeaSled no. Hickman
          did both but the SeaSled was a different idea, not a development of
          the flat bottom.
        • Chester Young
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            I found an article on Hickman and after the flat bottom he added vertical
            panels that extended down from the hull sides, this eventually became the
            sea sled concept.

            Starting in the autumn of 1908, Hickman and Munsie began their research
            with the similar, but better finished, VIPER II. They realized that the
            boat's flat bottom was forcing out spray and a considerable wake. In his
            engineer's mind, Hickman saw it as energy that was being wasted. To prevent
            this, side plates that looked like straight bronze sled runners were added
            at the chines and proved effective in trapping air and redirecting spray
            back underneath the boat. The end result was increased lift and speed from
            the same power. To Hickman, it was becoming obvious that "the principle of
            confining air beneath the hull might be of the utmost importance in the
            development of boats that are to be run at speed".

            Full article at:

            http://members.fortunecity.com/invertedvboats/Hickman_Bio.html

            Caloosarat

            _____

            > Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed
            it into
            > a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series.

            Not to be too pedantic, I would say Hickman yes, SeaSled no. Hickman
            did both but the SeaSled was a different idea, not a development of
            the flat bottom.

          • Howard Stephenson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              Bolger says in Different Boats that the styling reminds him of an
              old ACF (American Car & Foundry) cruiser. The only photo of an ACF
              cruiser I could find on the web can be seen by clicking on the link
              at this page:

              http://www.locomobilia.com/nautical_memorabilia_sale_literature.htm

              To me, this one doesn't look much like Tennessee. ELCO launches of
              the same period were similar to Tennessee in styling. See:

              http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h99000/h99880k.jpg

              Howard

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <ddvorak@...> wrote:

              > It may be my imagination, but this sure could pass for a
              Tennessee .

              http://www.trabatsakuten.nu/batbilder/storre_motorbatar/stor_mot_085.
              htm

              > what do ya' think ?? the canoe stern sure adds a nice touch.
            • The Peillet-Long Family
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2007
                Try this link -- I can't read the text, but there are reproductions
                of old AC&F, Chris Craft and many more ads and brochures. The AC&F
                reference for Tennessee is easier to see here.

                <http://www.cmbweb.no/Kuriositeter.htm>

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

                > Bolger says in Different Boats that the styling reminds him of an
                > old ACF (American Car & Foundry) cruiser. The only photo of an ACF
                > cruiser I could find on the web can be seen by clicking on the link
                > at this page:
                >
                > http://www.locomobilia.com/nautical_memorabilia_sale_literature.htm
                >
                > To me, this one doesn't look much like Tennessee. ELCO launches of
                > the same period were similar to Tennessee in styling. See:
                >
                > http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h99000/h99880k.jpg
                >
                > Howard
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <ddvorak@> wrote:
                > >

                > > It may be my imagination, but this sure could pass for a
                > Tennessee .

                http://www.trabatsakuten.nu/batbilder/storre_motorbatar/stor_mot_085.
                > htm
                > >
                > > what do ya' think ?? the canoe stern sure adds a nice touch.

              • Clyde Wisner
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2007
                  I finally got a "faster' dial up connection and got to see all the
                  pictures. Really pretty boat but I can't help seeing a slightly smaller
                  version on a Topaz hull. It's a sickness I guess. Clyde

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
                    Thanks for posting. I keep coming back to this set of picts. This is
                    what I'd try to do with a Topaz hull. (and may if I live long enough) Clyde