Which side of AC plywood to face outward?

  • Daniel Stewart
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      If building a plywood boat where the exterior of the hull (but not the
      interior) is to be covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxied, it would
      seem to make sense to face the poorer side of AC exterior grade
      plywood outward. That way imperfections on the exterior can be filled
      and the fiberglass/epoxy should prevent or greatly reduce any checking
      and protect the surface.

      The unfiberglassed and better interior surface can then be painted
      without much further preparation.

      Any comments? Payson (Build the New Instant Boats) doesn't
      specify--or, at least, I can't find any mention.

      Thanks, Dan
    • Rick Bedard

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Depending on boat size AB with the A to the inside could save a lot
          of time for a few bucks more or for that cost use MDO. Epoxys good
          and paints great but then to me encapsolation is still better. Eather
          way coat with epoxy then glass on fir plywood.

          Jon

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@...> wrote:

          > I've done exactly this on several boats, works great. Good idea to
          fill and fair the biggest imperfections just before sheathing the
          exterior. I even router out any big hard knots then fill with
          epoxy/woodflour.

          > Rick
          >
          > Daniel Stewart <stewartd@...> wrote:
          > If building a plywood boat where the exterior of the hull
          (but not the
          > interior) is to be covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxied, it
          would
          > seem to make sense to face the poorer side of AC exterior grade
          > plywood outward. That way imperfections on the exterior can be
          filled
          > and the fiberglass/epoxy should prevent or greatly reduce any
          checking
          > and protect the surface.
          >
          > The unfiberglassed and better interior surface can then be painted
          > without much further preparation.
          >
          > Any comments? Payson (Build the New Instant Boats) doesn't
          > specify--or, at least, I can't find any mention.
          >
          > Thanks, Dan

        • adventures_in_astrophotography
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2007
            Hi Dan,

            > If building a plywood boat where the exterior of the hull (but not
            the
            > interior) is to be covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxied, it
            would
            > seem to make sense to face the poorer side of AC exterior grade
            > plywood outward. That way imperfections on the exterior can be filled
            > and the fiberglass/epoxy should prevent or greatly reduce any
            checking
            > and protect the surface.

            That's exactly how I've done it, too. Works great with this
            AC "Superply" I've found, since it has a nice luan A-side for a smooth
            paint finish with little effort. If the interior face is fir, you may
            still wind up with checking, however. The exterior should hold up for
            years with glass/epoxy sheathing.

            Jon Kolb