100 year old Tennessee ??

  • gravelyrider
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007
      It may be my imagination, but this sure could pass for a Tennessee .

      http://www.trabatsakuten.nu/batbilder/storre_motorbatar/stor_mot_085.htm

      what do ya' think ?? the canoe stern sure adds a nice touch.
    • The Peillet-Long Family
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        As I remember, Tennessee was inspired by 1920s motor cruisers, so it's not far off.
        Beautiful, beautiful boat.
      • Chester Young
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          Without the books in front of me there may be some error in the following;
          Tennessee was a spin off of a update of a design that was intended to allow
          steam to compete with the new gasoline engines, about 100 years ago.
          Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed it into
          a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series. PCB credits
          Mr Hickman in the article that he wrote on Ester Mae in MAIB.

          _____

          As I remember, Tennessee was inspired by 1920s motor cruisers, so it's not
          far off.
          Beautiful, beautiful boat.

        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            > Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed
            it into
            > a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series.

            Not to be too pedantic, I would say Hickman yes, SeaSled no. Hickman
            did both but the SeaSled was a different idea, not a development of
            the flat bottom.
          • Chester Young
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              I found an article on Hickman and after the flat bottom he added vertical
              panels that extended down from the hull sides, this eventually became the
              sea sled concept.

              Starting in the autumn of 1908, Hickman and Munsie began their research
              with the similar, but better finished, VIPER II. They realized that the
              boat's flat bottom was forcing out spray and a considerable wake. In his
              engineer's mind, Hickman saw it as energy that was being wasted. To prevent
              this, side plates that looked like straight bronze sled runners were added
              at the chines and proved effective in trapping air and redirecting spray
              back underneath the boat. The end result was increased lift and speed from
              the same power. To Hickman, it was becoming obvious that "the principle of
              confining air beneath the hull might be of the utmost importance in the
              development of boats that are to be run at speed".

              Full article at:

              http://members.fortunecity.com/invertedvboats/Hickman_Bio.html

              Caloosarat

              _____

              > Albert Hickman used the long shape with a flat bottom and developed
              it into
              > a planning hull that eventually became the SeaSled hull series.

              Not to be too pedantic, I would say Hickman yes, SeaSled no. Hickman
              did both but the SeaSled was a different idea, not a development of
              the flat bottom.

            • Howard Stephenson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                Bolger says in Different Boats that the styling reminds him of an
                old ACF (American Car & Foundry) cruiser. The only photo of an ACF
                cruiser I could find on the web can be seen by clicking on the link
                at this page:

                http://www.locomobilia.com/nautical_memorabilia_sale_literature.htm

                To me, this one doesn't look much like Tennessee. ELCO launches of
                the same period were similar to Tennessee in styling. See:

                http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h99000/h99880k.jpg

                Howard

                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2007
                  Try this link -- I can't read the text, but there are reproductions
                  of old AC&F, Chris Craft and many more ads and brochures. The AC&F
                  reference for Tennessee is easier to see here.

                  <http://www.cmbweb.no/Kuriositeter.htm>

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                  <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

                  > Bolger says in Different Boats that the styling reminds him of an
                  > old ACF (American Car & Foundry) cruiser. The only photo of an ACF
                  > cruiser I could find on the web can be seen by clicking on the link
                  > at this page:
                  >
                  > http://www.locomobilia.com/nautical_memorabilia_sale_literature.htm
                  >
                  > To me, this one doesn't look much like Tennessee. ELCO launches of
                  > the same period were similar to Tennessee in styling. See:
                  >
                  > http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h99000/h99880k.jpg
                  >
                  > Howard
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <ddvorak@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > It may be my imagination, but this sure could pass for a
                  > Tennessee .

                  http://www.trabatsakuten.nu/batbilder/storre_motorbatar/stor_mot_085.
                  > htm
                  > >
                  > > what do ya' think ?? the canoe stern sure adds a nice touch.

                • Clyde Wisner
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2007
                    I finally got a "faster' dial up connection and got to see all the
                    pictures. Really pretty boat but I can't help seeing a slightly smaller
                    version on a Topaz hull. It's a sickness I guess. Clyde

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 17 9:55 AM
                      Thanks for posting. I keep coming back to this set of picts. This is
                      what I'd try to do with a Topaz hull. (and may if I live long enough) Clyde