Looking for the right boat

  • slusher_ben
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2007
      hello,

      I'm new to the group but I've been sailing for a number of years.
      I'm looking for that "perfect" boat just like many others. I was
      hoping that some of you familiar with Bolgers designs (so many!)
      might be able to help. Here's what I'm looking for,

      around 20 feet

      round bilge type

      square stern and plumb bow

      gaff cutter (and of course the topsail)

      comfortable for two - of course deck space is more important
      than cabin space
      small inboard diesel

      really like the lapstrake look, clinker or ply

      offshore capable - she will divide her time between the
      Greatlakes region and the Caribbean

      trailerable - displacement doesn't bother me, I have the vehicle
      and experience to move heavy loads

      Any thoughts would be appreciated.

      Thanks.....Ben
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2007
        Aside from Chebacco, you might look at Triple Keel Sloop, design #325 in Different Boats.

        JohnT
        I'm new to the group but I've been sailing for a number of years.
        I'm looking for that "perfect" boat just like many others. I was
        hoping that some of you familiar with Bolgers designs (so many!)
        might be able to help. Here's what I'm looking for,

        around 20 feet

        round bilge type

        square stern and plumb bow

        gaff cutter (and of course the topsail)

        comfortable for two - of course deck space is more important
        than cabin space
        small inboard diesel

        really like the lapstrake look, clinker or ply

        offshore capable - she will divide her time between the
        Greatlakes region and the Caribbean

        trailerable - displacement doesn't bother me, I have the vehicle
        and experience to move heavy loads

        Any thoughts would be appreciated.

        Thanks.....Ben

      • The Peillet-Long Family
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007
          Not Bolger, but I think Iain Oughtred has some of the nicest clinker
          designs out there. I don't think you could go wrong with any of his
          small cruisers: Wee Seal, Grey Seal or Eun Mara.

          <http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/gallery?KID=2>

          Fulmar would also make a great camp cruiser with the optional gaff cat
          yawl rig and a light, maybe removable or pop-up cabin top. [Scroll
          down and click Photo 1 to see optional rig.]

          <http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/gallery?KID=29>

          All of them are salty enough to make your eyes water. Iain has a nice
          clinker plywood (glued plywood lapstrake) boatbuilding guide and his
          catalog is good for hours of daydreaming, both available from
          Woodenboat among others.

          Good luck!

          Matthew
        • Brian Anderson
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007
            John Welsford's Penguin, Swaggie and Sundowner would also be worth a look.
            Plans/photos on Duckworks or Welsford's site. Penguin especially is a very
            sweet-looking boat -- much easier to trailer than the other two, but not as
            seaworthy. But a 20' boat with a diesel engine that is easily trailerable
            and also a blue water boat is going to be a tough one.

            Cheers, Brian

            On 4/30/07, The Peillet-Long Family <owlnmole@...> wrote:

            > Not Bolger, but I think Iain Oughtred has some of the nicest clinker
            > designs out there. I don't think you could go wrong with any of his
            > small cruisers: Wee Seal, Grey Seal or Eun Mara.
            >
            > <http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/gallery?KID=2>
            >
            > Fulmar would also make a great camp cruiser with the optional gaff cat
            > yawl rig and a light, maybe removable or pop-up cabin top. [Scroll
            > down and click Photo 1 to see optional rig.]
            >
            > <http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/gallery?KID=29>
            >
            > All of them are salty enough to make your eyes water. Iain has a nice
            > clinker plywood (glued plywood lapstrake) boatbuilding guide and his
            > catalog is good for hours of daydreaming, both available from
            > Woodenboat among others.
            >
            > Good luck!
            >
            > Matthew

          • Nels
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Anderson" <bawrytr@...> wrote:
              > But a 20' boat with a diesel engine that is easily trailerable
              > and also a blue water boat is going to be a tough one.
              >
              > Cheers, Brian

              The only one I know of that Bolger "helped" design is Blueberry, which
              is also cutter rigged. But it is so tiny inside that the builder
              (David Hume) was selling it last I heard. But he even wrote a book
              about it!

              Blueberry: A Boat of the Connecticut Shoreline (Hardcover) out of
              print but available 2nd hand at Amazon.

              Also look in "Boats With An Open Mind" for a write up and also
              consider one of the cover girls "Bright Thread" which is really a
              beautiful boat. Strip planked cat yawl. Both have inboard diesels. And
              also look at Red Zinger.

              But to find a topsail cutter rig - not much hope with Bolger - as he
              specializes more or less in Sharpies with simple rigs, unstayed masts,
              and few strings. That type of rig you are after, is usually found on
              heavy displacement boats that are deep keeled and not really
              trailerable. Unless you go to British designs that have bilge keels
              which are a bit easier.

              You might look at Selway-Fisher designs:

              http://www.selway-fisher.com/Yacht2024.htm

              Or Jay Benford:

              http://www.benford.us/index.html?cruisingsail/

              If you click on the link there that says, "22' Cruising Catboat or
              Cutter" you will see a small cartoon of a topsail cutter with an
              inboard diesel. A real challenge to trailer and would need a a crane
              or something to launch.

              Bolger's best designs for what you want to do are maybe the Jochens
              Schooner or St. Valery.

              http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/jochems.htm

              St. Valery.

              http://timkeeshen.tripod.com/thebuildingofstvalery/

              Both with water ballast. Bolger also tends towards small 4-stroke
              outboards these days with longer leaner light displacement designs
              than you are looking for.

              Welcome aboard and good luck.

              Nels
            • adventures_in_astrophotography
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2007
                Hi Ben,

                > I'm new to the group but I've been sailing for a number of years.
                > I'm looking for that "perfect" boat just like many others. I was
                > hoping that some of you familiar with Bolgers designs (so many!)
                > might be able to help. Here's what I'm looking for,
                >
                > around 20 feet
                > round bilge type
                > square stern and plumb bow
                > gaff cutter (and of course the topsail)
                > comfortable for two - of course deck space is more important than
                cabin space
                > small inboard diesel
                > really like the lapstrake look, clinker or ply
                > offshore capable - she will divide her time between the
                Greatlakes region and the Caribbean
                > trailerable - displacement doesn't bother me, I have the vehicle
                and experience to move heavy loads

                The closest design to your specification appears to me to be Paul
                Gartside's Itchen Ferry Cutter #101.
                http://www.gartsideboats.com/catsail2.php#itchen
                The estimated building time is close to two years of full time work.

                Gartside's Surprise II, #131 is only two feet longer than your
                specs, and consumes another 700 hours of building time by the
                designer's estimate.

                Jon Kolb
              • adventures_in_astrophotography
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2007
                  Correction...

                  > The closest design to your specification appears to me to be Paul
                  > Gartside's Itchen Ferry Cutter #101.
                  > http://www.gartsideboats.com/catsail2.php#itchen
                  > The estimated building time is close to two years of full time work.

                  Make that close to one year of full time effort.

                  Jon