Re: [bolger] Re: Outboard steering

  • Kristine Bennett
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 29, 2007
      I have seen a lot of boats that use that kind of
      system you just need to have about 15% lead on the
      rubber so the feeling on the helm is lighter.

      Krissie

      > Is there any way that a cable system like this can
      > be used on a rudder?
      >
      > http://www.wmjmarine.com/88-1740.html
      >
      > Long Micro has a vertical, round, oak inboard rudder
      > post that comes
      > up into the free-flooding stern well and goes
      > through a loose fitting
      > oak support plate that is attached to the watertight
      > bulkhead. The
      > tiller is slotted on the end and attaches about 4"
      > above the bearing
      > plate, by a single through bolt. The top of the
      > stern post is cut flat
      > on each side to accept the tiller slot. So I would
      > need some sort of
      > "steering arm" fixture attached to the stern post
      > between the tiller
      > and the bearing plate to connect the steering cable
      > . Then one would
      > have to attach a stationary bracket to the bulkhead
      > to mount the outer
      > cable right? The steering arm would extend above the
      > well, but be well
      > protected. (oops a pun;-)Then the cable could be run
      > behind the seat
      > back and forward into the cabin.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 29, 2007

        > I have seen a lot of boats that use that kind of
        > system you just need to have about 15% lead on the
        > rubber so the feeling on the helm is lighter.
        >
        > Krissie

        Great to hear that it might work:-)

        Just not certain about what you mean in the last part there.

        "15% lead on the rubber" Did you mean rudder maybe? Would that mean
        that if the rudder blade was pointing straight north the steering arm
        would be 15 degrees off to the right and the stationary arm 15% off to
        the left - like at 345 degrees?

        Sorry for the dumb questions but I have never looked at one these
        things at all.

        Nels
      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 29, 2007
          Sorry when they talk about lead in a rubber it's from
          the front of the rubber to the center of the rudder
          post. It's a percentage of the rudder cord, fore and
          aft.

          I hope that helps clear things up. Dave Gerr's book
          Nature of Boats has some very good info on setting up
          a rudder and how to keep the tiller loads light.

          Blessings Krissie

          --- Nels <arvent@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett
          > <femmpaws@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have seen a lot of boats that use that kind of
          > > system you just need to have about 15% lead on the
          > > rubber so the feeling on the helm is lighter.
          > >
          > > Krissie
          > > >
          > Great to hear that it might work:-)
          >
          > Just not certain about what you mean in the last
          > part there.
          >
          > "15% lead on the rubber" Did you mean rudder maybe?
          > Would that mean
          > that if the rudder blade was pointing straight north
          > the steering arm
          > would be 15 degrees off to the right and the
          > stationary arm 15% off to
          > the left - like at 345 degrees?
          >
          > Sorry for the dumb questions but I have never looked
          > at one these
          > things at all.
          >
          > Nels

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 29, 2007

            > Sorry when they talk about lead in a rubber it's from
            > the front of the rubber to the center of the rudder
            > post. It's a percentage of the rudder cord, fore and
            > aft.
            >
            > I hope that helps clear things up. Dave Gerr's book
            > Nature of Boats has some very good info on setting up
            > a rudder and how to keep the tiller loads light.
            >
            > Blessings Krissie

            Another book I have been intending to get for a long time. Now I will
            move it up to a "must have" from a "nice to have":-)

            You are such a rich source of information that you might consider
            charging consulting fees!

            We "Nautically Obsessed" boat bums are blessed in having you with us!

            Nels
          • Kristine Bennett
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 30, 2007
              Nels thank you for the kind words. What I know comes
              from doing or seeing done. Also reading a few books.

              Seeing things from a few view points helps get an idea
              how to make it work better. Also having to fix stuff
              after you broke it tends to make you a lot wiser!

              That's why I have a 1979 toyota 4x4 with 600,000 miles
              on it.... If I broke it I would have to fix it. I hate
              fixing stuff in the rain and mud!

              Thats also the reason when I come into the dock I
              don't come in any faster that I want to hit it!

              http://mail.yahoo.com