Re: teleflex steering

  • ghartc
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2007
      Not a bad idea, Mike. The cable isn't the free-to-float style - it
      goes through the motor tilt tube. That and the beam of the boat and
      the radius is pretty much fixed.

      The cable exits the sheath as a shaft that enters a tube fixed to its
      own end fitting - that tube slides inside the motor tile tube. In
      addition to being a tight bend, most of the problem appears to be rust
      between the two.
      /jammed
      motor tube /
      |--------------------| /
      --- -----------------|
      ---|--------------------------------|-- actuator, covered with tube?
      --- -----------------|
      |--------------------|
      motor tube

      I had a look at some bass boats with some Seastar hydraulics - nice,
      but about $500-600. I think the morse cable *must* come out
      regardless; and mechanic told me - "oh yeah, motor *must* come off to
      get cable out!"

      Gregg

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <mkriley@...> wrote:
      > this sounds like a improper installation.
      > the cable has to be free to float and not fastened down and it
      needs a large radius for a bend, if it takes a lot of force it is
      installed wrong.
      > there is a plastic inner sheath and a metal inner cable that will
      cut if in a tight bend.
      > Fasten the cable with oversize cable clampdowns and rotate the cable
      so the inner one is bearing on a new spot