Re: polyurethane/fibreglass

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 18, 2007
      Confusion? Yes. I went to the source. Sorted. Instantly.

      The first book of Payson (1979) doesn't spell out the ins and outs
      of the different resins, just showing how to apply glass tape to the
      chines. It does say there is never any problem with bonding glass to
      plywood (except spruce), and that epoxy is reliable and easy to mix -
      9 refs for: Epoxy (resin); Fibreglass; Glues.

      The second book of Payson (1984) has it all. Check the index again:
      12 references for Epoxy; resins, Polyester; Fibreglass;
      Fibreglassing plywood; Glass taping. Page 15 particularly for
      polyester curing re: air and added wax (that there are both
      polyester resins with wax and those without isn't very clear, but it
      is implicit on reading closely and he advises following label
      instructions). "Bondo" is discussed.

      What's the third book of Payson got? We'll see soon. The extra cost
      of epoxy over that of polyester may have been even greater back in
      1983. If that was the decider, and it's eased a bit now, then for
      simplicity and clarity maybe Dynamite will mention only epoxy. Jim
      Michalak mentions only epoxy in his 2002 book, though elsewhere he
      says he personally uses cheap "Bondo", and other polyester resins
      with no problems having showed over time.

      It seems in 1984 Dynamite only uses epoxy as a wood sealer (or
      polyester; the epoxy is better) and for glueing styrofoam (it
      doesn't react and eat the foam like polyester does).

      He writes on glues and sealers: "What's the matter with epoxies,
      resorcinols, and all the other wonder glues? Nothing except the
      price. And if you want to use a $40 bucket of glue when a $10 bucket
      will do the job, go ahead"

      Graeme