Another Industrial Coating Option

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2007
      I have mentioned this product some time ago, but have still not
      tried it out yet. This was posted on another group in which a photo
      of the boat was included which looked quite adequate as a "workboat
      finish".

      The point of my interest is that it is a water based formulation and
      from a low work effort perspective seems a possible alternative to
      using figerglas cloth for abrasiion resistance - althugh fiberglas
      cloth can be used as well. Here is the posting:

      "If it is good enough to build, it is good enough to keep from
      leaking and/or rotting away. Besides I hate re-doing painting, so
      it needs to be easy as possible. Recoating with the best stuff
      later is often not possible, due to stronger solvents or other
      product conflict or contamination. I do a couple coats of primer
      with fillers in the can, 1 or 2 topcoats and done. That way I can
      add cosmetic coats, but really don't have to for years.

      I use UMA (Urethane Modified Acrylic – Bonder from X-I-M) primer
      ONLY, water based and nothing else will be as tough and allow as
      many other kinds of finishes over it. Dries in 3 hours (warm
      weather time). I have it mixed with 16 parts black per gallon or 4
      parts black per quart to make a good neutral grey color, but it can
      be tinted to match topcoats otherwise. Topcoats with latex, oil
      alkyds, lacquers, epoxies and urethanes, so it works for all - even
      on metal!! Yes you can roller coat this on, XXfine rollers best,
      water wash up, and also saves bucks because it does not form a film
      in the can, you can use it ALL. This is Industrial paint, they are
      the toughest coatings !

      I add either or both of two fiberglass fillers to the can of UMA
      primer BEFORE PUTTING IT ON THE PLY, so I don't have to fill the raw
      wood. Base coat gets 1/8" fine glass fibers to prevent checking on
      RAW fir ply, then finer milled glass fibers to fill faster and add
      strength at the same time. Coarse prevents checking, fine fills
      enough to sand, use a mask filter when working with these loose
      fibers as you would on glass cloth, this is just making a "liquid
      glass" surfacer and filler in the can.

      The finest milled fiber alone in UMA primer, can be used over glass
      cloth as a super filler that I still want harder and protected. The
      thing I noticed is that these fibers mix very smoothly with UMA, may
      not work with other primers."

      Nels