Re: Storm Petrel - corralling the kids?

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11, 2007
      Matthew - at Smallboats group files
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Smallboats/files/ down the page a
      bit, take a peek at the file: "Dcp_0020.jpg view of cockpit Tonys
      File 2 Storm Petrel"
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Smallboats/files/tonys%20file/ Those
      samson posts may give an idea of how to build in some upright
      elements here and there on which to mount railings. Yep, Tony's post
      sizes are much more than you would need, and yours would have to be
      at the sides, and best inclined outwards rather than verticle. One
      in the stern corner and another one or two along the side, or even
      extend to the bow. Take a look at the pics in the folder "tonys file
      storm petrel" a bit further up the files page and see how he
      anchored the posts under the deck. I'd imagine your railing posts
      attached to the sides and rising from the bottom where they'd be
      attached too. Of course it may be a lot easier to attach them on the
      outside of the sides, and the transom corner staunchions of the
      Micro Navigator might give a clue of their size, engineered shape,
      and fixing - yours may not be as tall - and also you would need to
      keep the post bottoms above the heeled waterline. Best places, to
      avoid the ply sides ever buckling under loads from such cantilevered
      posts, would be at the bulkheads. Maybe a doubler on the inside
      would solve? How are those railing posts to the side of the AS-29
      cockpit fixed to the deck?

      With some allowances made, you may acheive a boat looking a bit like
      the photo of the racing dhows posted in group photos
      b=1&m=f&o=0 a light cover could be rigged to keep the African sun
      off the cockpit crew - as shown the boom is well high enough. Maybe
      out of shade cloth so you could still instantly see the sail, but
      with that Strangford Latine rig from Zephyr that Bolger put on
      Storm Petrel you wouldn't have to mind the sail very much. Gallows,
      and chocks could be incorporated to keep the spars and sail stored,
      out of the way off the deck, when not in use.

      For sport get one of those Tunisian racing lateen sails rigged
      and go!! Resale of lateen rigged Storm Petrel in Tunisian waters
      would be easy, I would think. The boat would almost look
      indidgenous, no?

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "The Peillet-Long Family"