Re: Storm Petrel alternative?

  • lancasterdennis
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 10, 2007
      -Hi Matthew,

      Since I am currently building PCB's "Old Shoe", guess I should chime
      in here. I'm just an average builder and I am finding the shoe to be
      enough of a challenge. I suppose it depends on how much you want to
      put into it, like anything we do. She is designed for a quick build
      with box store materials as a bottom line. I have talked to a few
      owners about sailing qualities and all that and have received very
      favorable comments. She is a joy to build and sail. Large for a
      12ft boat and stable (as such things go). For a day sailor and
      occasional camper, she would be just fine, able to beach and sleep
      aboard under a tent cover. I am expecting her to be relatively easy
      to launch and retrieve. I have just finished my masts and can attest
      that they are light enough for a single person to step and unstep. Of
      course I have chosen to use Spruce for material and that is some
      lighter than fir,etc. For me, I was looking for a stable, easy to
      sail, day sailor that I could take from lake to lake during my
      leisure retirement years (just a couple of years away folks)and I
      found this design to fit the bill for me. She will carry 4 adults
      with ease, so I can have crew whenever I want. Primarily, she will
      be solo sailed. I am planning to buy a Honda 2hp 4stroke for aux.
      I see that you have the link to my web site. I am planning an update
      with greater detail into the process of "Mast Making" from a novice
      point of view. I think its a good choice and certainly a design to
      consider.

      Very best to you,

      Dennis

      -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "The Peillet-Long Family"
      <owlnmole@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Nels and others, for your comments.
      >
      > I actually used to have a set of IMB plans but eventually decided
      it
      > just wasn't the boat for me. The same illogical argument as for AS-
      > 19--I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time on money on a boat that
      > find, shall we say, beauty-challenged.
      >
      > That's not to say that I don't appreciate Bolger boxes (I have
      built
      > Brick and June Bug, both squarish to varying degrees.) I'm just
      not
      > a fan of the Birdwatcher look.
      >
      > Going back to my files, I do find one boat that I've always liked
      > that might well fit the bill and is not too hard to build. If
      Micro