Re: T spars

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2007
      What do you mean by a T spar? A spar for a spirit leg of mutton sail on
      most of Bolger's designs is round or a square section and the forward end is
      held in a snotter. If you are asking about a T section spar (If cut in the
      center the cross section would form a T shape) I think just a wood stick the width
      of what is called for and a similar piece glued on the bottom standing
      vertical to the main spar.

      On the other hand Fred Shell does a leg of mutton sail where the spirit does
      not go forward of the mast as it does with a snotter. Fred's spirits are
      curved so that the sail takes the same form from which either side the wind
      comes from. The forward end has a T. This T is a shorter stick that is crossways
      to the spirit and secured with one screw so it can pivot a bit. This part is
      notched near the ends so it can be held by the sail lacings to the mast.

      I have sailed both types, The Fred Shell system does not have that
      distortion in the sail that a straight spirit gives you on one tack or the other, but
      I never noticed on my Car Topper any difference on either tack and that boat
      has the Bolger system with the snotter. I think on the whole I prefer the
      snotter as with that you have a line to tighten the spirit boom to flatten or
      let the sail take a more effective curve.
      John Meacham