MONSTER MICRO MYSTERY

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2007
      Loose Moose ll? Hmm... talking of biggER Earth Roaming Bolger
      boats, here's a MONSTER mystery query for all those who follow
      the "Bolger on Design" series in MAIB.

      I've been a keen Bolger fan for a few years now, but don't see
      there's any way soon I am going to cease to be amazed by what
      fantastic Bolgeristic stuff will turn up next. What's next? Well
      just take today for example. While looking for something completely
      different I stumbled across something very intriguing that I have no
      recollection of ever reading about before. That last of itself is
      amazing, for what my eye had happened to fall upon was something so
      close to the core of Bolgerian concerns that I can hardly believe
      it's not mentioned in some context here so regularly as to be passe
      by now. In any event perhaps it could never become passe, for it was
      the MONSTER MICRO!

      Yes folks, back in 2000/2001 Roger posted a few times here. Once,
      that he'd filed a list of MAIB "Bolger on Design" articles on actual
      designs sorted by volume and issue (mess. #13172 - July 27, 01) in
      bolger2files: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EEoURl42_-
      xD4L1bLpkzjYf7dP0i_QWWdKrkADsDJUF-
      gqGvi9Dptde89PQM1cfwDSC8dAoJomxrmyqrWxYIxpQSBtaqcEFCE9-oeg/Bolger%
      20On%20Design%20-%20MAIB%20sorting.htm
      ( http://tinyurl.com/28whk5 ) and it was in Roger's index that I
      found myself for the first time, hunting for anything published
      whatever/whenever on AS-19. And there below a certain entry I saw
      this... this... MONSTER MICRO thingo.

      I can't physically check Roger's indexing as I'm a relatively new
      subscriber to MAIB, and am working on the assumption that the
      details are correct for all MAIB issues to when he must have last
      updated the file on Oct 23, 2001. Here's a few I've extracted as I
      find it interesting to consider the development and design output
      sequences in their own right, but also in relation to how PCB&F have
      chosen to sequence publication of the designs over time.The design
      numbers are not always given - I presume this is as per how PCB
      sometimes writes, so where I could I've added the number for
      clarity. I presumed the short descriptors are PCB&F's and are the
      article titles and that seems to check out.

      V Is Pg
      #422 Micro Cat Yawl 3 - 2 - 17

      #484 Anhinga 23'3"x 5' Cat Yawl 6 - 11 - 16

      Monster Micro 29'6" Micro Cat Yawl 6 - 22 - 20

      #547 AS-29 Advanced Sharpie 29'6"x7'10" 11 - 4 - 22

      #486 Long Micro 19'6"x6' 11 - 8 - 22

      #576 AS-39 Ocean Going Winnebago 12 - 15 - 14

      #550 AS-19 Daysailer Yawl 17 - 15 - 24

      " " " " 17 - 16 - 30

      MONSTER MICRO is indexed here too:
      http://www.messingaboutinboats.com/archive.html and not just
      to "Bolger" but to "Wolfard" for the same issue. Recall that Bernie
      would have commissioned LONG MICRO for CSD after Elrow and CSD
      success with MICRO. Bernie's CSD winter/spring 1991 catalogue had
      LONG MICRO still listed as an "eagerly anticipated" prototype, yet
      he is also shown as having published in MAIB on LONG MICRO in 6 -
      20 - 14, a long time before PCB did. So here we have LONG MICRO,
      the big sister, as being actually younger. If you look at the
      thread http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message/44417?
      threaded=1 started by modified-MICRO builder Jason Stancil in
      2005 you'll see the possibility that MONSTER MICRO might be a
      Wolfard-ism for AS-29. However AS-29 was designed just prior to AS-
      19, and although this time PCB's publication sequence matches
      (except for a curiously lengthy delay of years) this must be set
      against the fact that AS-19 was in the 1991 winter/spring CSD
      catalogue as an already established design offer; but without
      mention in this instance of "eagerly anticipating" her actually
      older big sister AS-29. How could you? Another thing is AS-29 as an
      earlier finished design would have had a design number too. Were
      Wolfard and PCB in MAIB 6 - 22 - 20 introducing a brand new
      monstrously bigger MICRO, or talking up an older AS?

      I recall that there was once a 55' Micro-like sharpie cartoon in
      SBJ. It was gaff yawl rigged like a LOOSE MOOSE or AS, but having a
      Bolger salient keel similar to a MICRO, and plans got to a certain
      stage before the clients pulled out.

      Until today though I've never heard of the 29'6" MONSTER MICRO. If
      JESSE COOPER, AS-29, MICRO, MICRO NAVIGATOR, and LONG MICRO can go
      cruising coastwise and right into very thin water; and LOOSE MOOSE
      can cross thin water and also oceans, where on water might not
      MONSTER MICRO go? Elrow LaRowe once suggested that one day all the
      waters of the world might be black with MICROs; MONSTER's
      capabilities would certainly contribute to that! I imagine it more
      economical than LOOSE MOOSE, but with similar Earth girdling
      potential.

      The above positioning on the list suggests MONSTER may have been
      developed before LONG MICRO just as AS-29 was before AS-19. Was
      there a plan accompanying the article? Was it finished? Was the
      brief, in part, for an economical seagoing (crossing) cruiser? Was
      it for steel construction? How micro can a monster get?

      Of course, it could be some kinda large houseboat idea, or PCB
      thinking out loud in MAIB about what-if-why-not. But then there is
      Bernie's piece to consider. Maybe the mystery of where MONSTER MICRO
      went is mixed up in the CSD-PCB&F relationship breakdown?

      Was Roger just going through the MAIB archive, or has he indexed an
      eyeballed boat design as perhaps he wrote? I'm sure there would be a
      lot of interest in a world cruising MICRO, and the background story.
      Can anyone shed further light on the MONSTER MICRO MYSTERY?

      Cheers
      Graeme

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2007
        > the MONSTER MICRO!

        I'd agree 'Monster Micro' was very likely a Bernie Wolfard's marketing
        name for AS-29. (From an article in MAIB V6, Issue 22.)

        My MAIB collection only goes back to volume 7. MAIB's in that era did
        not have regular Bolger on Design articles, but rather only isolated
        articles typically by the builders, or by Bernie. PCB, at that time
        was publishing regularly in Small Boat Journal. Bolger articles in
        MAIB really began in V8#23 with the 3 Meter multihull design (also
        published in SBJ) Then the bi-weekly articles began with V9#2
        straight through until today, with only two (or three?) missed issues.

        I am also missing V11-13, (Jun1991=>Jul1994) if anybody wanted to loan
        me their back issues :)? I would pay for shipping both ways.
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
          G'day Bruce,

          if the mystery remains open to some speculation for too long, I'll
          think about obtaining a photocopy of the article(s) from MAIB - their
          service fee seems reasonable (very), but postage and payment
          incidentals are discouraging from here. Hopefully, someone is digging
          out those back-issues right now :-))

          Cheers
          Graeme

          > > the MONSTER MICRO!
          >
          > I'd agree 'Monster Micro' was very likely a Bernie Wolfard's marketing
          > name for AS-29. (From an article in MAIB V6, Issue 22.)
          >
          > My MAIB collection only goes back to volume 7. MAIB's in that era did
          > not have regular Bolger on Design articles, but rather only isolated
          > articles typically by the builders, or by Bernie. PCB, at that time
          > was publishing regularly in Small Boat Journal. Bolger articles in
          > MAIB really began in V8#23 with the 3 Meter multihull design (also
          > published in SBJ) Then the bi-weekly articles began with V9#2
          > straight through until today, with only two (or three?) missed issues.
          >
          > I am also missing V11-13, (Jun1991=>Jul1994) if anybody wanted to loan
          > me their back issues :)? I would pay for shipping both ways.

        • allecto1
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2009
            anyone ever solve this one? --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com,

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 22, 2009
              MAIB V6, N22 from 1989 included a brief article by Bernie Wolfard
              describing the AS29 design. Back in that era, Bolger was publishing
              in Small Boat Journal, and the 'Bolger related' articles in MAIB were
              mostly 'home builder' types of articles, plus "Common Sense Design"
              articles by Bernie Wolfard. I take it that Bernie had received early
              info from PCB about the (then new) Advanced Sharpie 29 design, and
              Bernie being familiar with the Micro design, coined the hype term
              "Monster Micro". PCB didn't really start publishing regular articles
              in MAIB until after the demise of SBJ, starting in January 1990.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 22, 2009
                I think Bruce is right on this MAIB article being about the AS29, and
                the characterisation being by Bernie W.

                "Common sense", at about 30ft, may have given way to other states of
                mind outside Bernie's objectives. Take the example of the
                successful "monster" Micro-like design mentioned 10 years later by
                Bolger when writing about the *55ft* keel sharpie family live-on-board
                concept in MAIB V16 N6 p24: PCB has a completed design of at least
                one "Monster Micro". The underlying mystery about could it even be done
                is no longer.

                Now, is there one in the range between 20 and 55 feet? ...Longer?