Folding Bows

  • dproasit
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
      Hello all -Apologies for not strictly Bolger, it's just a little bit
      like. Am thinking about building proa, possibly up to 50',Semi wave
      piercing as in Walap type.
      However, would also like to trailer. Yeah I'm dreaming!
      Was hoping someone may have some ideas with regard to removing/folding
      bows for transport whilst maintaining strength/integrity.
      Bows possibly 11'-12'long(giving overall trailing length of 25'),
      assymetric V section tapering from perhaps 3' beam where they join
      midsection. Perhaps some folding schooner people may be able to
      enlighten me. Hinged/folding would be preferable but I'm thinking if
      necessary lifting of/dismantling for trailing may be possible.Your
      thoughts will be much appreciated.
      Thanks - Darrell
    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
        Hi Darrell,

        > Hello all -Apologies for not strictly Bolger, it's just a little
        bit
        > like. Am thinking about building proa, possibly up to 50',Semi wave
        > piercing as in Walap type.
        > However, would also like to trailer. Yeah I'm dreaming!
        > Was hoping someone may have some ideas with regard to
        > removing/folding
        > bows for transport whilst maintaining strength/integrity.
        > Bows possibly 11'-12'long(giving overall trailing length of 25'),
        > assymetric V section tapering from perhaps 3' beam where they join
        > midsection. Perhaps some folding schooner people may be able to
        > enlighten me. Hinged/folding would be preferable but I'm thinking
        if
        > necessary lifting of/dismantling for trailing may be possible.Your
        > thoughts will be much appreciated.

        What you describe sounds similar to the Bolger Insolent 60 design,
        but with an ama instead of a swing/wing keel. As I recall, that
        boat has folding ends for trailering. Some drawings of I60 are in
        the files section of one the Bolger groups. You should also see if
        somebody can or did scan the MAIB issue (within the last year I
        believe) that had a 60' proa with articulated ends to handle
        beaching and wave stresses. Neither of these are completed designs,
        although I60 was close before it was shelved, as I understand it.

        Jon Kolb
      • John and Kathy Trussell
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
          PCB designed a powered trimaran with a folding top and a folding bow section, featured in MAIB a month or so ago--the name of the design escapes me. The boat was supposed to operate at 15 mph or so and I assume that the folding mechanism wuould hold up ar sailing cat speeds.

          JohnT

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell"
            <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

            > PCB designed a powered trimaran with a folding top and a folding bow
            section, featured in MAIB a month or so ago--the name of the design
            escapes me. The boat was supposed to operate at 15 mph or so and I
            assume that the folding mechanism wuould hold up ar sailing cat speeds.

            > JohnT

            Hello John T ,

            Is there any chance of scanning the article , if I ask nicely
            ofcourse...

            Its unfortunate , but we do not get MAIB here in Australia...

            Best H.S
          • dproasit
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6, 2007
              Thanks Jon - Found drawings of I60 but no details on folding
              mechanics.Also both the schooners use a vertical fold. The job I have
              would need a horizontal fold or complete dismount.I would really
              appreciate if somebody can or did scan the MAIB issue (within the last
              year I believe) that had a 60' proa with articulated ends to handle
              beaching and wave stresses.

              Cheers Darrell

              > Hi Darrell,
              >
              > > Hello all -Apologies for not strictly Bolger, it's just a little
              > bit
              > > like. Am thinking about building proa, possibly up to 50',Semi wave
              > > piercing as in Walap type.
              > > However, would also like to trailer. Yeah I'm dreaming!
              > > Was hoping someone may have some ideas with regard to
              > > removing/folding
              > > bows for transport whilst maintaining strength/integrity.
              > > Bows possibly 11'-12'long(giving overall trailing length of 25'),
              > > assymetric V section tapering from perhaps 3' beam where they join
              > > midsection. Perhaps some folding schooner people may be able to
              > > enlighten me. Hinged/folding would be preferable but I'm thinking
              > if
              > > necessary lifting of/dismantling for trailing may be possible.Your
              > > thoughts will be much appreciated.
              >
              > What you describe sounds similar to the Bolger Insolent 60 design,
              > but with an ama instead of a swing/wing keel. As I recall, that
              > boat has folding ends for trailering. Some drawings of I60 are in
              > the files section of one the Bolger groups. You should also see if
              > somebody can or did scan the MAIB issue (within the last year I
              > believe) that had a 60' proa with articulated ends to handle
              > beaching and wave stresses. Neither of these are completed designs,
              > although I60 was close before it was shelved, as I understand it.
              >
              > Jon Kolb

            • dproasit
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6, 2007
                Hello John - I'd like to see that too. In the same boat as H.S. in Aust.
                Thanks -Darrell

                > PCB designed a powered trimaran with a folding top and a folding bow
                section, featured in MAIB a month or so ago--the name of the design
                escapes me. The boat was supposed to operate at 15 mph or so and I
                assume that the folding mechanism wuould hold up ar sailing cat speeds.

                > JohnT

                4/4/2007 1:09 PM

              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6, 2007
                  Hi Darrell, & HS,

                  IIRC the Proa PB&F 60 was featured in MAIB over two consecutive isssues
                  around the 2nd quarter last year, and one of those was uploaded then to
                  proa_file6 files by proa_files member k_s_oneill
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proa_file6/files/Bolger%2060%20proa/ It
                  may not be the article you seek that most clearly depicts the hinged
                  bows. The subsequent one probably is, and I'd also like to see that.

                  As for MAIB access from Australia, I can fully recommend the Duckworks
                  MAIB online subscription. It arrives early and often, is great value,
                  and the PDF copy is clear and very readable. Can't read it in the
                  little room from the desktop unfortunately, but then I guess older
                  issues won't deteriorate with age either :-)

                  It would be fantastic if ALL back issues of MAIB were placed into a
                  searchable format and made available.

                  I wonder if MAIB would turn a profit on that if the bundle sold for,
                  say, around $500

                  Graeme

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dproasit" <knic0014@...> wrote:

                  > Hello John - I'd like to see that too. In the same boat as H.S. in
                  Aust.
                  > Thanks -Darrell
                • mkriley48
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 7, 2007