Re: General Questions re: Bolger's "Surf"

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 3, 2007
      check out the trailers at harbor freight

      Tom C
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "marylandbeukers"
      <marylandbeukers@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Patrick.
      >
      > I'm interested in your comment about the trailer kit at West
      Marine.
      > Are you speaking about a kit to assemble a trailer, or a trailer
      > accessories kit (brake lights, wires, hitch, etc.)? I tried
      looking
      > on West Marine's website and the only trailer they had was a pre-
      > assembled one for $630 - and that was only able to pull a boat up
      > 12 feet. I'd like to keep any purchase cost for a trailer about
      the
      > same for building the boat ($200 +/-....am I in "Fantasy World"
      with
      > this cost?)
      >
      > Your email below, combined with the others posted under
      > the "Cartopping it" subject line, have convinved me to invest in a
      > trailer - if I can afford it. About a year ago, I had the
      > opportunity to take possession of a used Siren 17. It was in very
      > good condition, except that the axle of the trailer it sat on was
      > broken. The boat was in the guy's backyard way out on the
      southern
      > peninsula tip of Maryland where there isn't much infrastructure.
      It
      > became such a hassle to organize an effort to either fix the
      existing
      > trailer or get a new one that I eventually had to pass on the
      boat.
      > Not to mention getting a hitch put on the Passat (something it's
      not
      > designed for), getting a Maryland state license for the trailer
      (it's
      > required in Maryland) and then learning how to drive & park a
      > trailer. It really left a bad taste in my mouth, and I eventually
      > decided to build my own boat and car-top it. But I now realize
      that
      > desire is in conflict with the my other desire to have a boat that
      > can hold a family of four.
      >
      > What are your (and anyone else's) thoughts on the idea of building
      my
      > own trailer out of thick lumber? I did see that West Marine sells
      > everything else a trailer needs except the frame. And as I'm
      buying
      > wood to build the boat, I figure I can also get some lumber for a
      > trailer? Am I still in Fantasy World?
      >
      > Thanks again!
      > FB
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I car-topped my Windsprint for a year before I invested in a
      > trailer. It
      > > was hard -- no way I could do it now, 10 years later (without
      > serious
      > > back pain the next few days). Also, we sold th Bonneville
      station
      > wagon
      > > -- it would be a trick to fit it on top of a smaller car. The
      wind
      > from
      > > passing trucks on th highway would probably sail you right off
      the
      > road.
      > > On the other hand, with a trailer it is quite light -- I had no
      > concerns
      > > pulling it behind my Mazda Protege. You can buy a trailer kit
      from
      > West
      > > Marine -- adds a few hundred dollars to the total cost of the
      boat.

      > > Patrick
      > >
      > > marylandbeukers wrote:
      > > > Good information to know - especially about the possible
      cramped
      > > > quarters. Thank you very much. (Also, my wife just told me
      that
      > our
      > > > oldest now weighs 60 lbs.!)
      > > >
      > > > Can you tell me how much the Windsprint weighs? The 150 lbs.
      of
      > your
      > > > Surf is about the max I wanted to go, and I'm assuming the
      > Windsprint
      > > > weighs even more. (150 lbs may not seem like much, but I'm
      trying
      > > > picture my wife and I up-ending and lifting a 150 lb, 16' boat
      > onto
      > > > the top of our car - and the picture isn't pretty.) I also
      have
      > > > make sure I can find a 4'6"+ roof rack that can fit my VW
      Passat
      > > > wagon.
      > > >
      > > > Let me ask one other advice question: If the windsprint won't
      > work
      > > > for me, is it possible to add a removable outrigger rig to the
      > Surf?
      > > > My thinking is that this will help with stability and -
      possibly -

      > > > allow me to reduce the size of the flotation compartments
      which
      > will
      > > > allow for more "people" room in the boat.
      > > >
      > > > Any thoughts?

    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 4, 2007
        The one thing that has only been touched on here. With
        a small bore motor they don't like to be lugged at
        all. They make their power at high RPM. So to keep
        them from over heating, keep them spun up so they can
        make the power needed. In short down shift as soon as
        the RPMs start to fall off on the hills.

        I have towed with a 64 VW Baja Bug and 74 VW Bus and
        they did the job asked of them. My 79 Toyota 4x4 does
        all I ask of it and then some and it's a 2.3L motor.

        You also have to learn to plan well ahead of yourself
        all the time you are moving. Enjoy the time you have
        when you can.

        Blessings Krissie

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail