RE: [bolger] Re:Trailers

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 3, 2007
      This is also strongly effected by the weight of the load and trailer. This
      is the limiting factor in weight rating. I had a 600 pound boat on a
      trailer with 13" wheels. It could go 200 miles at interstate speed with no
      trouble.

      V/R
      Chris

      snip...
      Trailers are wonderful gadgets...but remember...the smaller the wheel
      ,
      the smaller the tire, the faster it has to turn to cover a given piece of
      ground, so the faster it spins on the bearings, and the hotter they will
      become... twelve inches is a mighty small wheel, but it should be okay if
      you don't
      have to haul your boat very far or very fast...
      Old Wharf Rat
      snip...
    • pgochnour@aol.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 28, 2007
        I think of the weight thing as kind of like when you're going
        back-packing up in the mountains.... when chosing your gear you can shave off an ounce
        here, a couple of ounces there, a few ounces elsewhere, none very important by
        themselves, but in aggregate you can loose several pounds and that can make a
        real difference in how that pack feels ....same with a boat...a pound here, a
        couple of pounds there, added up, can make a difference ....of you have a big
        boat, something no one would imagine trying to carry by hand, and if you're
        using a trailer to launch and retrieve, then a few extra pounds are probably
        not be very important...but if you 'd like to be able to tote it on your
        shoulder or wrestle it in and out of a truck or up on a roof rack, then weight
        matters...I've been struggling with my own tendency to over-build ever since I
        built my first Teal years ago..have to consciously resist and over-ride my desire
        to make 'em overly sturdy...it's pretty easy to build a strong and sturdy boat
        if you don't care what it weighs...a boat that's both sturdy and light is
        somewhat more challenging..
        Tyson in Galveston