Re: Car topping or not to.

  • marylandbeukers
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 3, 2007
      Thanks, Krissie. Your posting, combined with one I got from Patrick,
      has convinced me to invest in a trailer - if I can afford it. Please
      see my reply (with some other questions) to Patrick's posting under
      the "General Surf Questions..." subject line.

      It is true that I would have to learn how to drive with a trailer,
      but that doesn't cause me much concern. My biggest concern is the
      initial investment cost for a trailer (either via purchase or by
      construction). I have next to no budget to spend on this boat (thus,
      one of my reasons to build it rather than buy one), and I don't want
      to build a boat that can't get to the water.

      I tried at one time (see my reply posting to Patrick) to buy a used
      trailer. But I learned that used trailers are very hard to find in
      the mid-Atlantic coat region of the US (I'm from Maryland), and thus
      expensive. For some reason, you can find them anywhere in the
      northeast or the midwest. Both Craig's List and eBay had lots of
      them from there. But once you get south of New Jersey, they're like
      gold.

      Please keep your comments coming. They help. Thanks again!
      FB

      ______________
      > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 4, 2007
        The one thing that has only been touched on here. With
        a small bore motor they don't like to be lugged at
        all. They make their power at high RPM. So to keep
        them from over heating, keep them spun up so they can
        make the power needed. In short down shift as soon as
        the RPMs start to fall off on the hills.

        I have towed with a 64 VW Baja Bug and 74 VW Bus and
        they did the job asked of them. My 79 Toyota 4x4 does
        all I ask of it and then some and it's a 2.3L motor.

        You also have to learn to plan well ahead of yourself
        all the time you are moving. Enjoy the time you have
        when you can.

        Blessings Krissie

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail